What is an MSD box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was asking around about what I could do to give my 62 a little more get up and go and one of the techs at coolcruisers suggested the following things:

Header, Muffler, MSD box, Platnum 2 or 4 plugs and you can also change a Cam shaft to get a bunch of power increase.

Does anyone know what an MSD box is and what are your thoughts on reworking the top end and up-grading the cam?

No matter what you do Scottie you still have a 62 that is best described as slow.

Learn to enjoy that and you'll be a happy 62 owner with more cash in your pocket.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info guys. I see where you are going with the intake and exhaust flow. I already put dual exhaust on her and I may look at a header.

If I do a little work on her and she's not any faster, thats ok. I just like to work on her for the fun of it.

If it doesn't break, I have to find something to piddle with.

enjoy

I've got an MSD stacker ignition on my FJ62 (along with an MSD coil and Magnecor wires). http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_3_7000.htm The stacker box works in conjunction with the stock ignition system so that you don't have to get the ecu to drive a standalone ignition box. The stacker gives you a capactive discharge spark and the stock gives you a longer inductive spark.

This is a nice setup for a 62 but it's not going to get you gobs of power. A little smoother overall and it seems to like to rev a little easier. If you're looking to pull out all the stops on your 3FE or, as you say, you like to tinker (like me :) ) then it might be worth it for you.

You've already got a dual exhaust, is that from the cats back or from the manifolds? If it's from the cats back replace the pipes from the manifold back. I ran headers, stock exhaust to the cats and then custom pipes with a Flowmaster from the cats back. When I replaced the manifolds through (including) the cats I definitely noticed a difference. My cats were in bad shape so I may have gotten more pep from reworking this section than others but I think you'll get more here than from an MSD upgrade.

i worked at MSD about 10yrs ago, and they make some great products!

Scottie,
I would be careful with going MSD. Although I cannot say their stuff is c^*p, I can say that In my experiences with my own car, and a few others I know very well, the MSD box leaves something to be desired in the way of quality. The box is not sealed, so it is very easy for moisture to get into the box. They do offer one that is a marine application that can get wet. I had a '67 Mustang that I went through a couple boxes and 3 coils (or vice versa) until I had a reliable box. Another friend has a track car and his MSD box took a dump and we had to bypass it in order to make the car run acceptible. I have a few more instances like that but I dont want to ramble. I worked at Summit Racing and a guy came in from Holley to show us the difference in MSD and Holley's ignition stuff. They showed us how they used better components inside their multiple spark box compared to MSD. After seeing that and seeing the MSD stuff fail, I would suggest going with Holley or something. Oh yeah, dont go with Jacob's either. Just my two cents...

Scottie,
I would be careful with going MSD. Although I cannot say their stuff is c^*p, I can say that In my experiences with my own car, and a few others I know very well, the MSD box leaves something to be desired in the way of quality. The box is not sealed, so it is very easy for moisture to get into the box. They do offer one that is a marine application that can get wet. I had a '67 Mustang that I went through a couple boxes and 3 coils (or vice versa) until I had a reliable box. Another friend has a track car and his MSD box took a dump and we had to bypass it in order to make the car run acceptible. I have a few more instances like that but I dont want to ramble. I worked at Summit Racing and a guy came in from Holley to show us the difference in MSD and Holley's ignition stuff. They showed us how they used better components inside their multiple spark box compared to MSD. After seeing that and seeing the MSD stuff fail, I would suggest going with Holley or something. Oh yeah, dont go with Jacob's either. Just my two cents...

love mine on my 60 had it on since 2000 and its been under water no problem.
with my 31 it got me up to 16 mpg if I stayed at 65mph. you can really feel the power boost from 1500 rpm and up almost like passing gear on mine I had to get a tack adapter to make it work

That's a lot of feed back, I appreciate all the replies. To answer the question: the dual exhaust starts with new cats and back with flow master. I have stock manifold and y-pipe back to cats. At this point, looking at everyones advice I think I will start with the headers and two pipes the the cats. This will give me a completely new exhaust sys.

Then I will look at some platinum plugs, new wires, and then maybe a box. The one reply from KLING-ON sounded pretty interesting with the 16 mpg vs my 12 mpg now. What did you get before you upgraded?

I will let you know how it works

Does the blaster coil work with stock wires and stock 62 electronic ignition? I was reading on the link attached that extra parts were needed on the old point ignitions.

Also, will this high pro coil reduce the life of other components?

blaster coil wouldnt work in my 60... I still have it in a box some were :rolleyes: the rest did wonders but I did put all new plugs wires and such

KLING-ON sounded pretty interesting with the 16 mpg vs my 12 mpg now. What did you get before you upgraded?

I will let you know how it works

about 10-12 but with my 33's and 410's I'm back down to 10 or 12 ... wish I had keeped the 31 and 3.70 some times :frown: biggest thing is to remember anything over 60-65 with drop fuel mileage ALOT with out a 5spd .....Mmmmm 5 spd :cheers:

MSD boxes are nice, but ive seen a couple that have just crapped out. If you havent left the stock harness and everything where you can hook it back up it would really suck to be you. Its hard to troubleshoot too because you cant tell if its bad or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom