What have you been doing with your Toyota? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_2399.jpeg
Definitely not the most efficient way to scrap. Sometimes though it does feel good to cut up a cruiser.

nlrhlUa.jpeg
New tranny isolator in and now my front DS “fits”. It was just barely touching the crossmember but rotating freely. Short test drive I could hear hitting. Got back in the garage and now it has clearance. :bang: Gonna go back through the bolts on everything and keep fiddling. Last major piece before Cruise Moab.

IMG_2504.jpeg

Drove home the next cruiser for a destructive class late summer. Needs lots of PM. But can teach with it before it goes to cruiser heaven.

Finally pulled the trigger on a new windshield. I've had bad luck with a few local glass shops. This mobile tech with Safelite was out here from Spokane and had done the 100 series before. He did a good job. But also mentioned the guys in the shop here in Bozeman are pretty green. I'll request his mobile service for another car later this month, to avoid the newbies.

IMG_5661.jpeg

Finally pulled the trigger on a new windshield. I've had bad luck with a few local glass shops. This mobile tech with Safelite was out here from Spokane and had done the 100 series before. He did a good job. But also mentioned the guys in the shop here in Bozeman are pretty green. I'll request his mobile service for another car later this month, to avoid the newbies.

View attachment 3595631
Did you get lucky and have this tech assigned or did you request a tech with prior 100 experience?

Speaking of glass, who does the best rock chip repairs? Some techs seem better at it than others and the ones I've used in the past that were good are no longer around.

Piggy backing on this conversation. I need a new screen for my '62 and am hoping I can also repair any rust or damage that might be under there. Anyone know if I can get the glass taken out one day and then have the new one out in later on?

FYI: most shops will refuse to put the factory sealant inside the older style sandwich gaskets on 80 series and earlier like the FSM recommends which may lead to a water leak and/or windshield frame with floor rust. The new generation of techs think the rubber seals by itself. It was not designed this way. The old school guys that installed these correctly back when they are new are quickly disappearing. If anyone locates a glass shop that will install the older windshields correctly per Toyota FSM please post up. I had this happen a little over a year ago and fortunately we discovered it quickly but my family were scrambling to pull the seats and carpet to dry out and avoid damage. Not fun.

Did you get lucky and have this tech assigned or did you request a tech with prior 100 experience?
Got lucky.

I told him the last guy did a hack job and that I was gonna watch to observe damage to the moldings, rain sensor, and under the moldings. He was cool with showing me everything during the process from start to finish.

I got aftermarket glass and screws where pop rivets should go. I don’t need OEM glass or rivets, but if that’s what you want, you can ask special for it.

I will ask for him by name for my GX coming in a few weeks. I went OEM on that car. They had to special order the glass.

Piggy backing on this conversation. I need a new screen for my '62 and am hoping I can also repair any rust or damage that might be under there. Anyone know if I can get the glass taken out one day and then have the new one out in later on?
Yep. It’s been done.
Glass out is easy especially if it’s broken. You can do it yourself easy if it is gasket type windshield. Glued in windshield needs a few special tools but it’s not too hard. Removing good glass without breaking, to be reinstalled, is the most tricky.

62 series? use a utility knife and cut the rubber around the glass from the outside following along the glass, easy peasy
make sure the installer has the glass and gasket ready to go and have it installed when ready

FYI: most shops will refuse to put the factory sealant inside the older style sandwich gaskets on 80 series and earlier like the FSM recommends which may lead to a water leak and/or windshield frame with floor rust. The new generation of techs think the rubber seals by itself. It was not designed this way. The old school guys that installed these correctly back when they are new are quickly disappearing. If anyone locates a glass shop that will install the older windshields correctly per Toyota FSM please post up. I had this happen a little over a year ago and fortunately we discovered it quickly but my family were scrambling to pull the seats and carpet to dry out and avoid damage. Not fun.

old school guy in Helena that does all our windows at work, still installs them that way but he's doesn't do any windows for the general public. he will do ours at work as we have a good relationship with him

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom