What fan/radiator with a V8? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Go with either a Taurus or Volvo electric fan. I didn't have enough room for the Taurus fan /shroud, but found that the late model Volvo fan/shroud is a little thinner and pulls around 3000cfm. It will suck your shirt right into the rad. Both are probably cheaper than the new at Summit. I used a permacool temp sensor hooked up thru a couple of 30 amp relays to drive the fan. I got my fan off ebay, but if you have a good pnp yard you could get one cheaper. my fan draws over 50amps. I use the stock rad in good condition and I live in the Mojave desert.

Go to your local junk yard and find a Taurus or Sable fan. I paid about $35 for mine.

stock rad taurus fan mild 406 sbc

stay away from temp probes that stab in the rad, find water jacket screw in style. I personally only use the adjustable ones.

good relays! bosch 30 or 40, diode if you choose so. never had a problem with them.

10 gauge wire for all fan power

30 or 40 amp auto reset breaker.

large volvo fan recall spanning most of the 90's, dont know all that much about which fans are in it, but i steer clear.

ALSO search here for fan info and such :)

i run a 4 core oem size with taurus fan.

have a buddy who runs stock rad with fixed 40 fan

neither of us have issues

MandMAutomotive said:

Yes These Fans Work Great, My Buddy Has a Griffon With Dual Electric Fans, He Has To Turn One Fan Of So He Can Have Some Heat In The Cold, All I Have To Say It Works Better The A Flex Fan.

I used a AFCO 26" aluminum generic GM and a MK VIII fan that is controlled by an adjustable CSR temperature gauge/controller. I have the fan set to turn on at 190 and the temp has never went above 193. It hasn't gotten hot here in Florida yet though.

So far I like the gauge, and it works pretty sweet.

Why is the Summit radiator picture upside down?

Radiator

I'm running a 22"x 19" Northern Aluminum radiator. It was about $200.00 and a small electric fan. Painless wiring.

Kept it cool when temperatures were around 90.

J.R.
electric.jpg

The Lincoln fan is the solution if you can squeek it in. Just bought one on Ebay for $20. If not, the best aftermarket fan hands down is a SPAL brand. They are very pricey, but work awesome. They have the best thickness/cfm ratios. I have 2 11" Spal in my camaro that makes 562RWHP and can sit in summer traffic all day and not pass 180F. Spals are marketed through BE COOL radiator which can be bought retail at Summit racing.

MandMAutomotive said:
So does anyone run a stock fan with a shroud and clutch??

I run a stock 350 TBI fan (mechanical clutch) with a custom shroud behind a girffin radiator. Don't have any over heating issues at all.

Old post but I can say that the SPAL fans are about the best thing I've come across. You can find reasonable deals on SPAL fans from some of the online hot rod shops. As mentioned they pull a lot of amps, and are somewhat $$, but any real decent electric fan is going to cost a little bit and also pull some amps.

The straight blade version of the fans is fairly loud but the 16inc version is a bad "@$$" and pulls some air, the s blade version is a little less noisy.

The Lincoln fan is the solution if you can squeek it in. Just bought one on Ebay for $20. If not, the best aftermarket fan hands down is a SPAL brand. They are very pricey, but work awesome. They have the best thickness/cfm ratios. I have 2 11" Spal in my camaro that makes 562RWHP and can sit in summer traffic all day and not pass 180F. Spals are marketed through BE COOL radiator which can be bought retail at Summit racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom