What do real land cruiser owners think of the FJC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shorter body and wheelbase, less expensive perhaps?

Because its not a soccer mom car like the 4runner. and pretty much comes with a rear locker + atrac standard. Youll more to get a 4r with that.

Not mine, but this guy thinks it is a landcruiser. I think the heritage is obvious and the technology is waaaaay better. We sold our fjc because my wife did not enjoy driving it. Such is life.

image.png

Nothing was as rugged as the 40. Paved roads are not its forte, but it was never designed to be a Hwy Cruiser. To compare it to a modern more highway oriented vehicle is ludicrous. I am also not seeing what at all the FJC has in common with a 70 series. That said I think they are a very capable modern 4X4. I personally prefer a solid front axle.

I have driven several FJ Cruisers and have been impressed with them on and off road. I do admit that driving an IFS vehicle off road is new to me and requires some different techniques. I am a purist though and not a fan of all the electronic aids like ATRAC, CRAWL, etc. To me it takes away the challenge of wheeling and building more skills Off Road. Sad that just like the rest of America, 4WD’s are also being dumbed down as well.

I have driven several FJ Cruisers and have been impressed with them on and off road. I do admit that driving an IFS vehicle off road is new to me and requires some different techniques. I am a purist though and not a fan of all the electronic aids like ATRAC, CRAWL, etc. To me it takes away the challenge of wheeling and building more skills Off Road. Sad that just like the rest of America, 4WD’s are also being dumbed down as well.

Is dumbed down really the phrase you want to use? I know your a purist but even the 200 uses the fancy electronic stuff and that’s the way of the future.

@ttFJC good point and yes it is sad. Another lame example is putting huge wheels on Mtn bikes. Have we become so wimpy we need everything made easier, just sayin

Maybe this is why Vintage 4X4’s are experiencing such a resurgence?

No my 40 is good old carburetor via Aisin

Well I guess we will have to just disagree. If you don’t have fuel injection then yeah comforts like abs etc. are going to seem pretty extreme.

I just don’t see how an Off Road Driver becomes more skilled by using or relying all the time on these tech gadgets. That’s all

Once upon a time I'm sure the same was said about diff lockers too, or 35" tires (and 33" tires before that). I understand that many like the analog aspects of older vehicles and I can appreciate the simplicity of older designs.

But they don't sell those vehicles anymore. So learning to drive off road means using what is available, or what is within your means. I had never been off roading until I got my FJC, but I learned a lot in the first few months by people I met on MUD. Lucky for me they also understood the difference between IFS and solid axle driving techniques. I learned that wheel placement is more important than throttle to get over an obstacle and sometimes gas is better than braking in an off camber situation. I learned how A-trac is best used and that it's often not needed.

We all have to start somewhere. For many, about 10 years ago, it was the FJC.

In the past hour I had my first opportunity to drive one of these, a co workers with a manual transmission.

The visibility concern now seems overblown to me-it's not so bad. However, the general lack of glass compared to what I'm used to driving-FJ62-makes it seem rather dark inside on this gloomy, snowy day.

The level of engine/road noise was greater than anticipated.

Although I've always thought of them as being a smaller vehicle, when driving it doesn't seem so small. Not sure why that is. Maybe because they're somewhat wide.

No doubt it's awesome off road, but compared to another coworker's 100 series, I much preferred driving the UZJ100. For that matter, also my 62.

@89GASHOG It's got a better turning radius than a Camry, so there's maneuverability that is not very apparent at first glance. It certainly won't match the comfort and quietness, nor the power of the UZJ platform. But brand new it's less than half the cost. The quirky looks are love/hate.

No doubt it's awesome off road, but compared to another coworker's 100 series, I much preferred driving the UZJ100. For that matter, also my 62.

Unfair comparison since driving an FJ60/62 is like driving a greenhouse!

Front seat of an FJC is fine. Back seat is cave like.

I hope they bring back the FJC. It got a whole lot of new people excited about the Land Cruiser and offroad travel.

What do real land cruiser owners think about the fact? Got my first 40 when I was 21. Then in 07 got an fjc. Got rid of it and have regretted it ever since. Have a 94 80. But come tomorrow morning I'm buying a 2013 Trail teams fjc. Why choose between an fjc and a land cruiser when you can have both?

Hmmm. I have both. See sig. Both worthy in different ways. But I love the Lx450.

I just don’t see how an Off Road Driver becomes more skilled by using or relying all the time on these tech gadgets. That’s all

LMAO -- I harken back to the days people carried water in 50 gallon barrels on the sides of their wagons: "So what's with all these young kids with all their fancy gizmos; ya can't get over a log if ya can't unhitch the team."

Among tech gadgets, I guess you mean locking hubs, transaxle, heck, even a differential is pretty techno these days. lol.

"I have a button for that" came from Lexus LC salesmen, I think. And there is nothing wrong with new tech making driving easier. I can't imagine driving a rocky riverbed on wooden spokes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom