What did you do with your truck this week? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed out the AHC fluid also, when the system is empty is drops you on the bump stops! It was a little nerve racking when finished waiting on the system to recharge and raise to the normal ride height! The LX rides much better now.
IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3977.JPG

I cleaned my underbits in prep for new tie rods and new coilovers (getting old rebuilt, bought a second set to rotate).
27072944_10155325500248123_2999822571911896903_n.jpg

I have been tackling some maintenance on the 40 over the past few weeks. Last week, I decided to replace a rear brake wheel cylinder that had a small leak. Of course, as with all old stuff, I opened it up and pretty much had to do a full replacement. Feels good once done but man it was ugly, dirty when I first got the drum off.

Leaking brake fluid makes for dirt sticking on everything pretty well

40 brake.jpg

Much better. No pic of the new shoes installed but after bleeding everything last night, it is all buttoned back up.

Brake 2.jpg

Drove down to the shop in the backyard. Dang rain makes everything soft.
20180207_165255.jpg

No pictures to post but I decided to do a few odds and ends on the 40 on a rainy Sunday. One issue I have had is the key switch has been intermittent and sometimes engaged the starter when cycling back to the off position. I ordered a new switch assembly a few months back but never installed it because I was a little intimidated about swapping it out. Well, let me tell you. That was probably the easiest thing I have ever done on my 40. It took longer to carefully pry the old connector out than it did the rest of the process. You simply open the clam shell on the column, take one tiny screw out, unplug the harness and plug the new one back in. Screw the one screw back on the column and put 4 screws and two small bolts back in the clam shell. Voilà! Operates like new. I think the part was $25-30. Easy peeeesy! I have heard of some guys having turn signal issues related to the switch. If you have any issues, don't hesitate to tackle the job. it's easy.

Swapped out tires & rims on the daugther's 100 series with some from a 200 series I found on Craigs List in Atlanta and very pleased with the result! Scored an ARB from a member of ONSC and hope to get that installed while the princess is on Spring Break in 3 weeks!

Also had to take the pressure washer to the underside as she had done a little off-roading in some clay.....

Before:
Clemson Ready 2.JPG

Today:
200 series rims 1.jpg
200 series rims 2.jpg

Maybe this thread should be called "What did you fix on your truck this week?". We did a round trip to Charlotte on Saturday in the LX470 with no trouble. Then on Sunday morning after that torrential downpour I noticed the "Discharge warning light" come on.

At first I figured that I had left a light on somehow and drained the battery. But after driving around for awhile it didn't go away. The voltage gauge wasn't plummeting but it didn't look where it should be. A quick stop at O'Reilly confirmed that the alternator wasn't putting out what it should be.

I was impressed with Toyota engineering and/or my newish Interstate battery for getting us 20 miles home without a hitch. On Monday I sourced a new reman Denso alternator from the local dealer (didn't want to wait days for online). Our Upstate Cruisers discount is still in full effect at Ralph Hayes but they did not have one in stock. Toyota of Greenville did and helped me out on price when I asked about UC discount too.

The new alternator went in without a hitch, but when I went to plug in the sensor wires, I realized the plug tab was broken. In fact the whole plug was a brittle mess which made it easy to dissect it and install a new clip. But I had to wait another day while the local dealer ordered one. Part number 90980-11349 if it happens to you. I guess 16 years of heat dried out the old one.

I continue to be impressed by this truck, it gave plenty of warning. (The vehicles of my childhood always just left us stranded!). Perhaps more importantly, I was able to quickly find abundant info on MUD which made the fix quick and easy.

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

Maybe this thread should be called "What did you fix on your truck this week?". We did a round trip to Charlotte on Saturday in the LX470 with no trouble. Then on Sunday morning after that torrential downpour I noticed the "Discharge warning light" come on.

At first I figured that I had left a light on somehow and drained the battery. But after driving around for awhile it didn't go away. The voltage gauge wasn't plummeting but it didn't look where it should be. A quick stop at O'Reilly confirmed that the alternator wasn't putting out what it should be.

I was impressed with Toyota engineering and/or my newish Interstate battery for getting us 20 miles home without a hitch. On Monday I sourced a new reman Denso alternator from the local dealer (didn't want to wait days for online). Our Upstate Cruisers discount is still in full effect at Ralph Hayes but they did not have one in stock. Toyota of Greenville did and helped me out on price when I asked about UC discount too.

The new alternator went in without a hitch, but when I went to plug in the sensor wires, I realized the plug tab was broken. In fact the whole plug was a brittle mess which made it easy to dissect it and install a new clip. But I had to wait another day while the local dealer ordered one. Part number 90980-11349 if it happens to you. I guess 16 years of heat dried out the old one.

I continue to be impressed by this truck, it gave plenty of warning. (The vehicles of my childhood always just left us stranded!). Perhaps more importantly, I was able to quickly find abundant info on MUD which made the fix quick and easy.

View attachment 1679610

View attachment 1679612

View attachment 1679613
Glad you didn't get stranded. Have you looked into replacing the alternator brush? I know that is a thing in the 80's, not sure if it is a serviceable part on the 100's.

Yes I thought about trying that. I believe they can be replaced on the 100 too. But I kinda wanted new bearings and regulator too.

I also thought about taking it to Dean's Alternator (near Trollhole's) to have them rebuild it.

But I was stuck ferrying the family around and just wanted to get the LX back on the road quickly, so I just decided to put a whole unit in.

I picked the Toyota OEM (Denso reman) hoping I'll get another 185K out of it. As opposed to the aftermarket alternators the auto part stores are selling.

Yes I thought about trying that. I believe they can be replaced on the 100 too. But I kinda wanted new bearings and regulator too.

I also thought about taking it to Dean's Alternator (near Trollhole's) to have them rebuild it.

But I was stuck ferrying the family around and just wanted to get the LX back on the road quickly, so I just decided to put a whole unit in.

I picked the Toyota OEM (Denso reman) hoping I'll get another 185K out of it. As opposed to the aftermarket alternators the auto part stores are selling.
Sometimes you just need it now.

I failed to mention that I also changed out my AHC fluid over Easter weekend after fortuitously stopping by Trollhole's that Friday just in time as he was about to start doing it to his LX470. So got to be a helper and see firsthand how it went. All went smoothly until I had to drain the actuator and just couldn't get the 10mm to loosen the nut....ended up using the ratchet which resulted in probably half a liter of AHC fluid spraying all over me and the vehicle/floor......past that it went flawlessly!

AHC 1.jpg
AHC 2.jpg

Last week on the LX470 I swapped in four new OEM AHC accumulators and a set of King KTRS-79 springs. I ended up way over damped in the rear, unless I loaded a dirt bike on the hitch 'n haul. So today I swapped back to the stock springs with Slee 30mm spacers. (Big thanks to @BJJCruiser for helping me figure out which OEM spring goes on which side!) For future reference on an '02 LX470, green dot is driver side, yellow dot is passenger side. Now my AHC neutral pressures are spot on at 6.8 front and 5.9 rear! I also added some Air Lift 1000 air bags so when I do tow or haul I can beef up the rear.

IMG_2082.JPG

Posted this in the 60 section, but thought some of you might like to see.

Installed a trailer brake controller, wired it up, and drove 3 hours to pick up a new to us hybrid travel trailer. The old 2F pulled the trailer home steadily at around 60mph until we saw an incline, them, slower going. But good temps and no hiccups all the way home. Trailer weighs about 3100lbs as is.
20190324_142814.jpg

Posted this in the 60 section, but thought some of you might like to see.

Installed a trailer brake controller, wired it up, and drove 3 hours to pick up a new to us hybrid travel trailer. The old 2F pulled the trailer home steadily at around 60mph until we saw an incline, them, slower going. But good temps and no hiccups all the way home. Trailer weighs about 3100lbs as is.View attachment 1938211
Nice. Going to drag it to BB? :hmm:

I replaced pretty much everything AC system related except the refrigerant lines in the 80. 3 years ago I replaced the original compressor with a new Denso for $$$. I knew better than at the very least not replacing condenser and receiver/drier. Here’s to doing it right the second time.

DDB71AD4-4EAC-4E3F-9D27-62F723015718.jpeg

55E42D63-3155-4931-966D-E7EE06239047.jpeg

2A90AE45-02FD-4004-AC89-D2AFC22B7998.jpeg

58FD317B-8A24-4FFF-864B-2E3A11A87C49.jpeg

60963217-1C13-45FF-9D47-97C5D72ADC7C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom