Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In reverse order. We went up to Tunnel Camp sunday and poked up into the mining areas around 7 Troughs. Still one of the best ghosttowns around here. On Saturday we drove up Virginia Peak. We picked the wrong road up the way up and picked up a lot of new NV pin stripes. We made it though and came back down the easy way. I got a screen shot of the fire cam website with my FJ in the picture.
The previous weekend was the air races so we drove up a hill on the west side and hung out.
The weekend before we drove up to Como and to the antennas on Raw peak. That was Saturday. On Sunday we went down to Minden and drove sunrise pass over to Churchill.
We've pretty much been getting the cruiser dirty every weekend. Probably going to run the petroglyphs on Saturday.

Anyone remember Dans FJ60?

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_3429.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

Everything is looking nice and tight and oil free. Love the steering upgrade. In fact you are building that into one nice rig. I still like that bumper. Light aluminium!:rolleyes: Are you doing some rock crawling with it?:hmm: Rubicon?

Everything is looking nice and tight and oil free. Love the steering upgrade. In fact you are building that into one nice rig. I still like that bumper. Light aluminium!:rolleyes: Are you doing some rock crawling with it?:hmm: Rubicon?
Thanks Mark! the Rubicon is just one of the reasons that i am building it this way! I just want it to be plenty capable to do some of the tougher trails, as well as the easy stuff! plus, i don't want anything to break, so i might as well upgrade everything i can while i'm already in there!

Agreed. Parts are expensive :cautious:but then so is breaking. As I found out this year:crybaby:. Did you know that there is a tcase saver and a cone saver on the tcase. I had no idea. And the later tcases/4sp are stronger due to the better metal. Wish I had know that 3 months ago.:bang:

Haven't be able to do anything with my FJC all week :cry:... she's in the shop getting a suspension issue :wrench:. Should have her back later today... :)

Got a few new window parts coming in the mail to swap over the new to me drivers door. Gonna get that sanding finished and then primer it so I can throw it on before weather get too nasty.

Folded up one of my side steps a week ago by jamming it into a dirt embankment. Time to buy another pair. They are removable but since I never get around to removing them they end up being ablative armor.

Thread revival

Oil change, tire rotation.
Swapped my modified fan clutch back in - yes it makes a difference, but yes it robs some horsepower.
Installed the LCP aux fan kit - AC blows colder.
Reinstalled my enormous rack to haul gear to summer camp.

Contemplating a Jumbo run to watch the VC fireworks, or maybe I'll just have a beer and a shower.

I have been stuck in Bronco land trying to get this thing going for my son to use... I did get those BFGs I won in May!

FB_IMG_1528252726640.jpg

IMG_20180703_142710.jpg

I rolled them through the house... because my garage door blew up, into the garage and stacked them in the corner.

What!! you won those?:clap: Lucky dude! How goes the battle? Is the motor in yet?

LOL, thanks! I was surprised too. I seem to have gotten some attention from Motor Trend for some reason. My collection of "ugly" 4x4's will be in the inbox section of FourWheeler.com soon, and published in the print version in Nov/Dec.

My engine is still in pieces... After a lengthy discussion with Chris at Douglas, I decided to invest in some .40 over forged high compression pistons. They are custom made and take about six weeks to complete. The good new is that he was able to find all new parts for the valve and head assembly! So we are waiting impatiently for the pistons.

I pick up the intake and valve cover from my powder coating guy next week and will be dropping off the ididit column and a ton of trim pieces for powder coating at the same time.

I am kinda stuck right now though... My Harbor Freight cherry picker isn't tall enough to get my F155 and drivetrain out, so I have been trying to decide if I want to invest in an i-beam/trolley/hoist, a mobile gantry/hoist, or just get a bigger mobile hoist from Summit Racing. The engineer said my trusses won't support the i-beam setup :frown:, so I think I'm gonna go with the cherry picker from Summit for $285. It extends up to 92" so it should work.

I'll try to get going as soon as my wallet recovers from the piston purchase... oh and the garage door repairs! And the Bronco repairs! What a mess!

What!! you won those?:clap: Lucky dude! How goes the battle? Is the motor in yet?

LOL, thanks! I was surprised too. I seem to have gotten some attention from Motor Trend for some reason. My collection of "ugly" 4x4's will be in the inbox section of FourWheeler.com soon, and published in the print version in Nov/Dec.

My engine is still in pieces... After a lengthy discussion with Chris at Douglas, I decided to invest in some .40 over forged high compression pistons. They are custom made and take about six weeks to complete. The good new is that he was able to find all new parts for the valve and head assembly! So we are waiting impatiently for the pistons.

I pick up the intake and valve cover from my powder coating guy next week and will be dropping off the ididit column and a ton of trim pieces for powder coating at the same time.

I am kinda stuck right now though... My Harbor Freight cherry picker isn't tall enough to get my F155 and drivetrain out, so I have been trying to decide if I want to invest in an i-beam/trolley/hoist, a mobile gantry/hoist, or just get a bigger mobile hoist from Summit Racing. The engineer said my trusses won't support the i-beam setup :frown:, so I think I'm gonna go with the cherry picker from Summit for $285. It extends up to 92" so it should work.

I'll try to get going as soon as my wallet recovers from the piston purchase... oh and the garage door repairs! And the Bronco repairs! What a mess!

Keep us posted on your celebrity status;). Sounds like your like the rest of us with always something to do."There is always something". Pistons should be nice. We need to do anything to spruce up these motors. Header, better carbs/fuel injection, better distributor/electronic points etc etc.
I just spent an afternoon getting mine to run smooth again. Coming up Caddilac hill the motor got up to 210. It ran crappy the whole way home:bang:. So used carb cleaner, tightened all the carb mounts, techron fuel system cleaner, adjusted timing and linkage and air fuel mix screw and it works now. Not sure which one of those did it but who cares. It runs like a top again.

I just found out you can buy a GPS speedometer(thanks Rusty). Now I can see how slow I am really going up Spooner or Kingsbury. It was a nice feature to get back and only 33.00. Stock junk dash meters were froze up when I bought it and with new gears, tcase, transmission and bigger tires the old system just wouldn't be feasible anymore.

About the hoist? Did you mean FJ55? And this is maybe a dumb ? , but did you think to flatten the tires? If your close, that could give you a few more inches. Remove front apron/clip?
Sorry about your "mess" . Just a project at a time and soon it will be done. Did that sound like Mary Poppins or what?:cool:

Let us know if you need help with anything. We are looking:hmm: for a "project" club meeting:wrench:. Maybe for September?

Keep us posted on your celebrity status;). Sounds like your like the rest of us with always something to do."There is always something". Pistons should be nice. We need to do anything to spruce up these motors. Header, better carbs/fuel injection, better distributor/electronic points etc etc.
I just spent an afternoon getting mine to run smooth again. Coming up Caddilac hill the motor got up to 210. It ran crappy the whole way home:bang:. So used carb cleaner, tightened all the carb mounts, techron fuel system cleaner, adjusted timing and linkage and air fuel mix screw and it works now. Not sure which one of those did it but who cares. It runs like a top again.

I just found out you can buy a GPS speedometer(thanks Rusty). Now I can see how slow I am really going up Spooner or Kingsbury. It was a nice feature to get back and only 33.00. Stock junk dash meters were froze up when I bought it and with new gears, tcase, transmission and bigger tires the old system just wouldn't be feasible anymore.

About the hoist? Did you mean FJ55? And this is maybe a dumb ? , but did you think to flatten the tires? If your close, that could give you a few more inches. Remove front apron/clip?
Sorry about your "mess" . Just a project at a time and soon it will be done. Did that sound like Mary Poppins or what?:cool:

Let us know if you need help with anything. We are looking:hmm: for a "project" club meeting:wrench:. Maybe for September?

LOL! Celebrity is certainly something I would like to avoid! My [pipe] dream is that a magazine or vendor would be interested in sponsoring part of my project. Free is nice!

I hope with the pistons, DUI ignition, beefed up cam, tuned two-piece header, and the EFI, that I'll get decent performance on the trail. Since I will be running 35's, I'm planning on 5.13 or 5.38 gears too, so that should help. I'll probably never go over 55 on the road though!

I love stuffing new tech into these old beasts! The GPS speedo was a great idea.

I have seen some early F engines with "F155" stickers on the valve covers. That's what I was talking about. :) I have the front clip removed, I haven't flattened the tires yet, that is a good idea! I'll give it a shot. I still need a hoist to get the tub off the frame though. My plan is to but the tires on dollies, hoist the tub straight up, then roll the chassis out of the way. I can them put the tub on some furniture dollies so I can wheel it around. I just need to figure out how the heck I am going to hoist the tub! I might use one of these bolted to the beam in my garage and keep my fingers crossed.

https://www.amazon.com/Strongway-El...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9H2HG16D4HAWEPNY43JX

Would anyone be interested in coming over to help me hoist that tub? I'll supply food and drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom