What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a great run out to Carrizo Plain. Flowers are popping. Pulled a couple of people out in deep mud. Such a great time of year!

Last edited:
How do you like those General Grabbers? I haven't seen many people run them yet.
As reported above, went out to Anza Borrego with @Dan2722 , @bushdoctor, and a...ahem...Nissan. Always a good time!

Camped in a spot not accessible to the ~1.5 million suburbanites out looking for flowers
washshot.jpg

@bushdoctor had a friend bring some of these 80 KPH stickers from Kenya. They are meant to indicate the max speed of commercial/heavy vehicles. If you're behind my HDJ81 going up a long mountain pass, consider yourself warned.
80kph.jpg

@Dan2722 getting his flex on
danflex.jpg

Camera tilted slightly for that hard core off road effect (you're welcome, @bushdoctor )
berkyflex.jpg

Some pranksters put a sticker on my truck. That'll be fun to remove.
rimliquor.jpg

Even had a chance to take some drone footage. Exceedingly uninteresting video here for those interested.

CC4FD636-4A7E-409A-BEA2-C5D086937355.jpeg

I’m not going to start a thread for my build but I had a killer trip in my new 80 last weekend. I’ve had it for a couple of months and got it to a place where I can enjoy it. No rooftop tent, no big bumpers. Everything but the shocks are Dobinsons. I’m blown away by the ride on and off road. Went with the 4” progressive springs. Delta arms for caster. Fox 2.0

Check it out I slept in a tent! Remember those??
DE7F8C4C-441A-4614-991E-7A6E7A7E4095.jpeg
7BCC9257-9B3B-43D1-ACF8-9921345E4FBC.jpeg
0A92CAAE-866B-4B8B-AFE6-A2107796BB09.jpeg
0C4A3C98-8316-4BA1-8379-C5176E7118CC.jpeg

View attachment 1927613

I’m not going to start a thread for my build but I had a killer trip in my new 80 last weekend. I’ve had it for a couple of months and got it to a place where I can enjoy it. No rooftop tent, no big bumpers. Everything but the shocks are Dobinsons. I’m blown away by the ride on and off road. Went with the 4” progressive springs. Delta arms for caster. Fox 2.0

Check it out I slept in a tent! Remember those??View attachment 1927608View attachment 1927607View attachment 1927609View attachment 1927606
Haha!!! someone dared go out wheeling and camping without:
Rooftop tent, front and rear bumpers with swingouts and all the fixings, no roof rack, no slideout drawers, no fridge, no LED lightbar, no winch. etc, etc, etc.......
Amazing! Props!

Haha!!! someone dared go out wheeling and camping without:
Rooftop tent, front and rear bumpers with swingouts and all the fixings, no roof rack, no slideout drawers, no fridge, no LED lightbar, no winch. etc, etc, etc.......
Amazing! Props!
There's plenty of us out there that "dare" to go out without that stuff, but if I've already got it I'm sure as hell gonna use it. :) Heck, when we go down to Baja for the 1000 and have to drive back up the peninsula after the race we have two nights of camping just to get back to the border. We just throw a pad down in the dirt and crash.

There's plenty of us out there that "dare" to go out without that stuff, but if I've already got it I'm sure as hell gonna use it. :) Heck, when we go down to Baja for the 1000 and have to drive back up the peninsula after the race we have two nights of camping just to get back to the border. We just throw a pad down in the dirt and crash.
I use what I need when I need it. Nice to have the flexibility.

:meh:

And now for something completely different... anyone with a 3fe ever have your idle race? Run high that is? She comes down every now and again. I have checked for a vacuum leak and she’s tight. I did notice that the CSI when removed leaked under gravity so I am thinking that might be a part of the problem? I unplugged it and the idle stayed pretty high. I have inspected the ISC and it’s in great shape (19 Ohms across all contacts) I need to do a fuel pressure leak test and that might tell me more but that’s this upcoming weekend... just wondering if anyone has ever had this issue.
I've been chasing the same intermittent problem. My hunch is the coolant temperature sensors based on threads i've seen. I'll be changing both my sensor and sender and seeing if that solves it.

How do you like those General Grabbers? I haven't seen many people run them yet.

Good eye, @Wrencher93 !

The General Grabber X3s are pretty solid and with around 14,000 kilometers on them feel about like they did after my initial impressions (read a bit more here). They make some noise on the road, maybe even a bit more now with a bit of wear, but nothing terrible, especially with the wind noise, 1HDT noise, various squeaks, etc.

Speaking of wear...nothing noticeable at all. No chunking, no serious tears or obvious damage despite subjecting them to Death Valley, Anza Borrego, Baja, the mall...

On dirt/sand/the fun stuff, they do very well. I haven't spent a ton of time with other tires on the truck, so it could be this truck is simply super-capable. Aired down, with lockers, and in low range this thing feels unstoppable and just gets up the hill without a fuss. I'm sure some of that is from the tires, but certainly not all.

As seen a couple weeks ago in the wilds of Anza Borrego State Park
flexingisfun.jpg

Reminisced about weekends past
8005916C-E075-4897-B234-3F54C2FCA6EF.jpeg
B51DCCF8-19B5-40B4-996A-1AD5041C3EC7.jpeg

I ordered one of these magnetic cell phone mounts and didn't like it very much. MagicMount Elite Removable Phone Mount | MagicMount™ Elite
I was able to peel the rubber off the magnets and unscrew the two magnetic pads. Then I cut a piece of sheet metal 3" x 5" and bent it roughly 45 degrees in the middle. Than I glued both of the magnets I removed from the mount to the sheet metal. Painted and installed in the truck with double sided tape inside the cubby below my head unit. Now it works great. It is super solid with two magnets and it fits perfect.
2084992212609790177.jpg
20190315_151104.jpg
20190315_122405.jpg

And I also replaced the old broken straps on my middle row seats. I was getting tired of the seats falling down randomly.
20190315_151116.jpg

Finally took care of a piece that has been missing since I bought the land cruiser 10 years ago thanks to @jjdeneen918 and his part out :)

running board 1.jpg

running board 2.jpg

My local carwash just came out with the monthly "Fast Lane" (the line for this place can go around the block after the snow melts. Too bad I can't use the same pass for my DD and my truck.

Washed it! I pay $30/month to get unlimited washes and it's been great having it here in salt land during winter.

I do the same. The carwash I use is awesome (massive indoor bays with free vacuums, compressed air, and unlimited terry towels). $30/month is well worth it for me. I go through there on my way to work at least once, sometimes twice, a week. I love it.

car wash.jpeg

Bought one.

Got a '91 with 313k on the clock. Front axle will need to be completely gone through. 1300.00 was a good price for a project vehicle. It runs, drives, stops, passes smog, and is registered.

Fixed most (hopefully) of the vacuum leaks.
Fixed the rear door interior latch.
Stopped by Marlin Crawler and got knuckle rebuild kits.
Stopped by Trail Gear and got rubber wiper kit.
Ordered up a couple zip lockers and a 100% duty cycle Vair compressor from Amazon.
4.88s are on the way from IPOR.
Ordered up a Wits End inner axle seal tool.

4AD1AA6D-309A-484E-A8C6-F86060B4ED34.jpeg

Installed shore power to keep my batteries topped and provide accessory power

IMG_2428.JPG

Used a bluetooth Victron water proof charger
Mounted to the firewall

IMG_2430.JPG

NOCO outlet

IMG_2424.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom