What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took me on another adventure south of the border travel an exciting start.
I love Mexico
IMG_20190114_180520_682.jpg

Brown Santa returned my rear diff from AZ... I couldn’t help myself, I had to throw it in.....

Front should be back in a day or two..

5CE55169-1885-4263-952C-C0D7752C7088.jpeg

3B2F6A67-BCF5-4509-AE82-D709C2270C6F.jpeg

DAED5524-F608-43F2-9CD7-FA0CC922990E.jpeg

I was so busy catching fish I forgot to actually take pictures with the cruiser this trip. But I drove the rig 630 miles over the weekend to do some ice fishing at fishlake and some other lakes further north.

20190113_080545.jpg

20190113_182442.jpg

20190112_131459.jpg

20190113_163327.jpg
20190112_133548.jpg
20190112_134345.jpg

Looks like a Milwaukee cordless saw.

@RS6tofj80 I am curious how you like it? I have a Sthil as well but am going back and forth between the Dewalt or the Milwaukee cordless chainsaws.

View attachment 1875472

watch the youtube channel AVE about the dewalt cordless. will never go that direction after watching him rip that thing apart

What setup did you go with? What is your current tire size? I am looking at getting gears done too but on the fence about 4.88 or 5.29. I am thinking of going 37s at one point hence my choice of 5.29.
For a perfect stock match for 315's you'd want 4.48 gears. So you would be .40 more (lower) than that with the 4.88's.
with 37's a stock match would be 4.79 gears, so 4.88's are a near perfect match for 37's if you want a stock feel.

I really like how my truck is feeling with the new 37's combined with the 4.88's I've had in the truck for a while. Shift points seem better and it corrected my speedo (within ~1mph of my GPS). Feels good and the slightly lower highway rpms are a welcome thing. Personally I prefer having a slightly larger pinion gear. I know there are plenty of people that run 5.29's without issue but the smaller pinion gear can become a weak point.

If you still wanted lower drive ratio, if it were me, I'd do 4.88's with 37's and then consider lower tcase gears for either the high or low range or both depending on what you're after.

For a perfect stock match for 315's you'd want 4.48 gears. So you would be .40 more (lower) than that with the 4.88's.
with 37's a stock match would be 4.79 gears, so 4.88's are a near perfect match for 37's if you want a stock feel.

I really like how my truck is feeling with the new 37's combined with the 4.88's I've had in the truck for a while. Shift points seem better and it corrected my speedo (within ~1mph of my GPS). Feels good and the slightly lower highway rpms are a welcome thing. Personally I prefer having a slightly larger pinion gear. I know there are plenty of people that run 5.29's without issue but the smaller pinion gear can become a weak point.

If you still wanted lower drive ratio, if it were me, I'd do 4.88's with 37's and then consider lower tcase gears for either the high or low range or both depending on what you're after.

Is there not a 4.56 gearset for the 80? That would be just slightly lower geared than stock by your math.

Not that there is anything wrong with 4.88's but the lower you go the smaller your pinion gear (more relevant with 5.29's than 4.88's), and although you gain a bit of torque, you also compromise on top end with an engine revving a bit high depending of course on trans ratios and speeds.

4.56 does exist.

I really like how my truck is feeling with the new 37's combined with the 4.88's I've had in the truck for a while. Shift points seem better and it corrected my speedo (within ~1mph of my GPS). Feels good and the slightly lower highway rpms are a welcome thing. Personally, I prefer having a slightly larger pinion gear. I know there are plenty of people that run 5.29's without issue but the smaller pinion gear can become a weak point.

How much weight have you added to your LC? I am going to go through your build thread here shortly to get an idea. I drove @Jgunner LC and he is running 4.88 with Falken MT tires in 37x12.5x17 with front/rear/tire carrier bumpers. I really liked the way his drove with the added weight and the 4.88 and 37s.

Is there not a 4.56 gearset for the 80? That would be just slightly lower geared than stock by your math.

Not that there is anything wrong with 4.88's but the lower you go the smaller your pinion gear (more relevant with 5.29's than 4.88's), and although you gain a bit of torque, you also compromise on top end with an engine revving a bit high depending of course on trans ratios and speeds.
Those “perfect match” ratios I mentioned are likely not available gearsets. Those numbers are just the ideal for the two different tire sizes.
Yes there is a 4.56 gearset available and is the closest match for 35’s.

How much weight have you added to your LC? I am going to go through your build thread here shortly to get an idea. I drove @Jgunner LC and he is running 4.88 with Falken MT tires in 37x12.5x17 with front/rear/tire carrier bumpers. I really liked the way his drove with the added weight and the 4.88 and 37s.
I probably have similar weight added. Front/rear/tire carrier bumpers, winch, sliders.

Those “perfect match” ratios I mentioned are likely not available gearsets. Those numbers are just the ideal for the two different tire sizes.
Yes there is a 4.56 gearset available and is the closest match for 35’s.

Yeah I caught that, you didn't mention the 4.56 so I brought it up. If he figures he may go bigger in the future or its primary usage is in low range than the 4.88's may be a better option, but the 4.56's should be good. Well, if he did the transfercase gears then he would get the underdrive as well.. So a few inches over the 315's would still be a good gear match if needed I think.

@Crusierdan is on it already though, not sure if you can order that gearset through toyota or Cdan, he would probably have the part numbers for all other bearings and replacements off the top of his head if you do go that route. Might wanna do pinion spacers instead of crush sleeves via the aftermarket though...

This Is what I did with my 80 found a couple living in death Valley out of thier new to them fj cruiser lost thier home, jobs and cars in paradise fire So I used My reach to raise a couple grand and get some much needed gear donated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom