What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

8800 lbs??? Wow, I would have guessed a couple thousand but never that high.

The females are less than half that size, the information sheet at the site said they average around 5500lbs which is still insane.

Rear Bumper is a 4x4labs we put together and the sliders are custom welded to the frame

Strange thing happened to me today driving back from Miami. I stopped for gas and when I got back in to start her up I noticed the CEL flashing. I fired her up and the CEL remained off however a few hundred meters down the road the cruise light started blinking. Not long after the ABS lights starts.

I have one of the toycom OBD1 readers but even though it connected some of the data was frozen.
The screen shot below was taken with the vehicle at standstill but the speed is showing 16mph.

Screenshot_20180817-180237_TOYOBD1.jpg

I pulled the Toyocom and used @NLXTACY paper clip (by the way a little sticker reminding the user which terminals to short would be handy ) but the CEL only flashed like it would when there is no codes.
I eventually pulled the EFI fuse and reset the computer which appears to have cleared it all up.
Not sure of anyone has seen this before or if it in a precursor to some imminent ECU failure.

Thought third time would be a charm but that was not the case! Ran it the last two times with minimal body damage and no winching. This go around I had to winch no less than 4 times up Thompson Hill and dented the last straight body panel on the truck (tree, not rock but it was basically take your pick and trees are softer). We got caught it a torrential rain/thunder/hail storm 2/3rds up Thompson and traction went to hell. Even beadlocked 37"s aired down to 12psi with both axles locked didn't make a difference. At no time were all 4 tires on solid rock so the single front/rear on rock was spinning due to the rain and the other two were in the dirt were just digging holes. There was a 60 with us on 40"s and he did fine. :hmm:

Regardless, it was an awesome trip and we got to see everything from your typical sierra afternoon thunderstorm to 2" snow/hail covered trail in August, bright starry nights with too many shooting stars to count, endless granite domes and jagged peaks, plenty of trees and just about everything else in between. Spent a total of 3 days/4 nights on the trail and saw just 2 other trucks! No breakage either!

29165704807_febc2b523e_c.jpg

42294289330_f9e67a6cd3_c.jpg

29165737427_34a5ee6649_c.jpg

29165730537_3f9349abc6_c.jpg

43384996224_da251f46a7_c.jpg

29165712367_28702df2d1_c.jpg

44054827612_9e1822616f_c.jpg

Strange thing happened to me today driving back from Miami. I stopped for gas and when I got back in to start her up I noticed the CEL flashing. I fired her up and the CEL remained off however a few hundred meters down the road the cruise light started blinking. Not long after the ABS lights starts.

I have one of the toycom OBD1 readers but even though it connected some of the data was frozen.
The screen shot below was taken with the vehicle at standstill but the speed is showing 16mph.

View attachment 1769577

I pulled the Toyocom and used @NLXTACY paper clip (by the way a little sticker reminding the user which terminals to short would be handy ) but the CEL only flashed like it would when there is no codes.
I eventually pulled the EFI fuse and reset the computer which appears to have cleared it all up.
Not sure of anyone has seen this before or if it in a precursor to some imminent ECU failure.

Do you have the new toyocom that reads cel? My old one went caput after I got water in it. Started all kinds of problems with my ecu. Took me weeks to figure out that it was the reader causing the issue. I got the newest version and haven't had any problems since.

What did you do with your 80 this weekend: maintenance, fix, wheel, nothing, new mod??

Nothing. 'Smitty's' still in the shop.

Re-wired, re-routed, removed some stuff. Cleaned up a lot of po wiring and some unnecessary things... Making room for a group 31 battery hopefully... Enlarged holes in battery box to remove strain on links. Added a quick port for trickle charger. Mostly drive on the weekends and short drives so want to keep my battery in good shape during the week.

20180818_120217.jpg

20180818_120144.jpg

20180818_120132.jpg

Stopped into to @OTRAMM shop after the rear output bearing started getting really wacky Ryan and crash took care of both fr/rear and put the entire TC in the washer. And I spent the night prior in the yard at otramms as I often have.
DSCN7221.JPG
DSCN7222.JPG
DSCN7224.JPG
DSCN7189.JPG

Do you have the new toyocom that reads cel? My old one went caput after I got water in it. Started all kinds of problems with my ecu. Took me weeks to figure out that it was the reader causing the issue. I got the newest version and haven't had any problems since.

I have the new model Toyocom but in any case I had it disconnected at the time. Pulling the fuse has resolved all the issues and I have done about 150 miles today with no repeat. Just strange...

Finished up my DRL wiring. They are on anytime the engine is running, and turn off when the headlights turn on. Needed to use two relays to make that happen, but it is going to be nice not burning the HIR's I run in the headlight.

Don't mind the weird reflection below it. For some reason the phone did not like the LED's
drl1.jpg

Stopped into to @OTRAMM shop after the rear output bearing started getting really wacky Ryan and crash took care of both fr/rear and put the entire TC in the washer. And I spent the night prior in the yard at otramms as I often have. View attachment 1769979 View attachment 1769980 View attachment 1769981 View attachment 1769982
Ryan is such a solid dude, not to mention one of the most knowledgeable cruiser guys I have ever spoken too. Great team there with him and Crash.

Made the drive home and started unpacking, cleaning, and saving pics to the computer. Also calculated my fuel mileage...8.87 miles per gallon over 2100 miles. Worst ever on a trip. The cruiser is now sitting at 412k miles though.

Gold King Basin
62992B8E-F9F1-4FD3-B407-9CD3B6F12212.jpeg

Outside of Crested Butte near the Paradise Divide up some random road that no one was on and dead ends with a rock slide.
5FDD4B4F-8582-4D20-9949-A49D8A45F2E6.jpeg

0003FBF0-2A35-42E1-9556-E26A57C45605.jpeg

Pearl Pass
The new rear axle and Harrop set up performed flawlessly. Glad I had it on this pass.
C828AFBA-D443-48A0-B70C-F9766A4D7009.jpeg

Last Dollar Road
A6968FAE-C196-4846-8AEE-037F970D4F4F.jpeg

Well, today was an attempt to fix the wandering steering and wobble at highway speeds... Jacked her up and found quite a bit of movement from 12 to 6 but none from 3 - 9 so assumed preload was the issue. Pulled the caps and could move the 54mm nuts by hand :doh:

Had already ordered the Trail Gear locking 54mm nuts so set the preload to 13 ft lbs and installed 'em. Passenger side went smooth as silk. Driver's side was very difficult to get screws lined up and wound up getting too much preload on that side. Hub got HOT at highway speeds. Guess I will get to do that again tomorrow!

43402346854_325362cedd_h.jpg

Also have been working on the tunes in my rig... Wanted to make a rack for misc. electronics and connections in the passenger side rear area. Here's some progress on that front along with the mounting of the main speaker amp under the driver's seat:

43214507985_4f6f4aec00_h.jpg

43948887912_4c1fde6df9_h.jpg

30128825938_8562c00fee_h.jpg

Also have been working on the tunes in my rig... Wanted to make a rack for misc. electronics and connections in the passenger side rear area. Here's some progress on that front along with the mounting of the main speaker amp under the driver's seat:

43214507985_4f6f4aec00_h.jpg

43948887912_4c1fde6df9_h.jpg

30128825938_8562c00fee_h.jpg
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Are you going to mount the sub in that box? and how is that box being held in there?

Not a ton done this weekend, BUT....got the 3d printed cup holders from BH3D...living being able to have my hydro flask upright, and not laying on my e-brake.

Also got my Toyobd1 at the same time. Hooked up an elderly Samsung Galaxy S3, and am now confirmed that I have a happy motor....well....temp wise at least. She runs a steady and constant 195* in motion, and 199* at a stop light, in the city, ambiant temps in the mid-high 80's. From what I read here these temps are "Okay".
New OEM thermostat is on the list now, as I have no idea what is in there now. PO seems to have been diligent about "normal" maintenance. Maybe not FZJ80 level maintenance, but stayed on top of things. Just needs tweaking.

Keeps a perfect 600rpm at idle.

Now....on to obsess about birfs and other suspension stuff.

So, so happy my motor seems happy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom