What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (20 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Day 1 of a 10 day trip from Alabama through southern Louisiana for field work. First day was about 450 miles. Photo is at the Mississippi rest area on I-10. Pulling the 5x10 trailer with an ATV my mileage is a solid 10 mpg, the in-cab vacuum gauge hovers around 5 psi. I can hold 70 mph once I get up to speed, but that may take a couple or three miles. Heavily loaded FJ60 with 300k on a rebuilt 2F. May be slow and a gas guzzler but it's solid and reliable. Total mileage on this trip will easily be over 1500 miles.

View attachment 3612486
12HTime

Got it ready for the first hard drive after the 5 speed swap. Did some bright work updates: new used bumper, turn signals and side markers. Got it all ready for inspection.

Had it up to about 80mph and the temp gauge started to climb above 3/4. No idea what temp it really got to. The home position shown is 188* and it hovers around t stat opening as the fan clutch comes on and off with the ac when at idle.

I had flushed it once or twice before, it sat for the year of the trans swap with just hose water in it and I felt that the temp creep at speed was all just dirt in the system.

So I started flushing it. I pulled the block drain and so much stuff came out. Then I ran the hose through it for at least 20 gallons of flow, and then resealed the system and ran radiator cleaner through it.

Today I dumped all that and flushed again through the radiator.

It came out much better. I sealed the system with vinegar and distilled water and ran it for a while again.

I’ll dump that this week, put a proper block drain in with a hose barb and do it over and over.

IMG_4236.jpeg

IMG_4250.jpeg

IMG_4368.jpeg

E67E2117-B4FD-4411-8507-5C41493FB797.jpeg

IMG_4208.jpeg

292,000 miles, bb desmog but still has new catalytic converters, cleaned and refreshed injectors and a tune up. Runs and idles perfectly at 650 ac off.

5 speed, 4.11 and 28” tall tires.

It’s a really fun truck to drive. It accelerates almost normally and is pretty fun in 4/5. The 3FE loves the 3700 rpm shifts.

Last edited:
So trying to resolve the cutting engine problem when inclined, changed the diesel cranking pump and diesel filter to Toyota spare parts. Added a water separator with good flow before the filter (we get horrible diesel sometimes).
Unfortunately the problem is still there, I guess the vacuum in the diesel pump is the issue.
There are no leaks but maybe air is going in ... not sure tbh.

IMG-20240421-WA0096.jpg
IMG-20240421-WA0097.jpg

Swapped the turn signal control for a rubbish copy one (i will try to fix the old one) and changed back to MPH speedo the KM is broken :S

IMG-20240421-WA0091.jpg
IMG-20240421-WA0085.jpg

Also refitted fillers between leaf springs to stop the noise when turning.

Day 1 of a 10 day trip from Alabama through southern Louisiana for field work. First day was about 450 miles. Photo is at the Mississippi rest area on I-10. Pulling the 5x10 trailer with an ATV my mileage is a solid 10 mpg, the in-cab vacuum gauge hovers around 5 psi. I can hold 70 mph once I get up to speed, but that may take a couple or three miles. Heavily loaded FJ60 with 300k on a rebuilt 2F. May be slow and a gas guzzler but it's solid and reliable. Total mileage on this trip will easily be over 1500 miles.

View attachment 3612486

Day 2. Hit the woods. The ATV is used on Louisiana Wildlife Management Areas where I cannot drive the Cruiser (although in the past I did take it down some ATV trails before I had the ATV). About a mile into one trail and the LA mud was too much for the Honda 4 wheeler, but the Warn winch did the trick.

IMG_1673.jpg
IMG_1680.jpg

Day 2. Hit the woods. The ATV is used on Louisiana Wildlife Management Areas where I cannot drive the Cruiser (although in the past I did take it down some ATV trails before I had the ATV). About a mile into one trail and the LA mud was too much for the Honda 4 wheeler, but the Warn winch did the trick.

View attachment 3613364View attachment 3613365
What roof rack is that? Me likey. :)

What roof rack is that? Me likey. :)

View attachment 3613364View attachment 3613365
I'd love to read a dedicated thread of your travels and adventures for work with the 60!

Nothing but road miles today, about 125. Took the back roads, ran about 50-55 mph in 4th and mileage was improved, maybe 11-12 mpg. Lunch break in a vacant parking lot in nowhere Louisiana.

IMG_1684.jpg

Banging around in state wildlife management areas and national forests in Louisiana. Many of these roads you could drive in your grandma's Camry but some sections and spots high clearance, occasional 4WD, and maybe a little winch action is needed. Day 5 and the FJ60 has taken on a light coating of dust and mud splatter. Recent rains have thankfully kept the heavy dust in check. Mil surplus bag on the spare tire carries some old leaky chest waders, tall rubber boots, and a pair of stinky socks.

IMG_1709.jpg
IMG_1711.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom