What did you do with your 3rd gen Tacoma today? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

little_joe

SILVER Star
Threads
Post up your mods, links to updates to your build threads, pictures while out using or wheeling your Tacoma, whatever you have going on with your 3rd gen!

This weekend, I installed the Yakima Overhaul HD rack system. Picked it up used off CL, got it primarily to haul my fishing kayak (Hobie Compass). Really love this thing already, and haven't even used it yet!

1618177601565.png

1618177631841.png

1618177663237.png

Prinsu arrived. Been SLOWLY putting it together last 2 days in between work projects.

1629151397041.png

1629151442730.png

Those weather strips kinda SUCK to dissect! (I spent way to long yesterday insuring I got them best I could.

1629151518870.png

Over Christmas vaca installed Victory 4x4 roof rack, ARB Snork, Bushwacker Flares (only 3 because they sent two of the same flares:mad::mad:) and my FJ80 snow tires and wheels.
Magnacharger has shipped but still waiting on the gears from Nitro...going on 4 months...
IMG_1676.jpg
66258374792__6673C27D-EF6A-4825-8C75-9376782C6138.JPG

Ordered my White Knuckle Off Road rock sliders tonight. 8 weeks to deliver. Should be here in time to powdercoat and install for Cruise Moab 2022, so I can really test out the DOM steel.

Roof rack and lighting installed. Compressor almost finished. Currently installing 4.88 gearing, front locker and then the supercharger.
IMG_6080.JPG

66639924318__0E9EC87D-C89D-4255-A81E-24A88730E334.JPG

66639921322__AF666F90-59AA-447A-837B-604B72681AA1.JPG

IMG_6384.JPG

Great build! How is it with the supercharger? Did you have it tuned as well?
The magnacharger kit is very well done. I've installed a number of them in years past on other vehicles and in my opinion, they only continue to improve their products.
How is it with supercharger? Its almost perfect. I utilized the tuning that Magnuson provided. At the same time they wrote the tune to allow for the 33" tire size and 4.88 gears. I really cant complain about it at all. The only dislike is cold start-up power. On cold days, the initial couple miles are governed and I assume this is to prevent damage to engine internals as it warms up. Its tolerable and nice to know it wont allow me to wear out the a cold engine.
It is also quiet. I don't know if the snorkel affects the sound but you cant hear supercharger wine unless your really cranking RPM's. Even then its subdued. That's right, my wife has no idea the truck is now supercharged!

The power increase is very noticeable and it behaves as it should from the factory, in my opinion. However, I also installed 4.88 gears just before the SC'r. So these two upgrades are realistically tested together. Its not a crazy powerful race-truck like it was in my Tundra. Its civilized and very useable. The truck now behaves like a truck with stock V8 power. Torque is the name of the game here. What used to require a shift into 4th gear at high RPM to climb a hill now only requires a small throttle input in 6th gear and it will actually accelerate up the hill that used to be a struggle.

Off road it has proven to be a huge difference. Less shifting and less clutch work. It just powers over everything....even with 33" tires. Low end torque is great.
I have yet to have it on the highway so I'm not sure what it will be like at Mach speeds. I did run it up to 75 or 80 on the runway and it had no problem wanting more.

I fantasize about trying this on a stock Tacoma with factory sized wheels. I bet it would be even more fun for a street truck.

Fantastic! Glad to hear it's working out well for you! Would love to drive one with a SC one day to feel the difference. Having the ability to put the hammer down on the highway to make a pass or shut a door is always a good time in powerful machinery.

Man. One day. Looks good. I was reading that the tune you get from Mag is not very adequate and that you need to go to a tuner to get it right. Is that correct?
it is sad that the 3.5L needs something to remove it from its minivan roots.
I can not answer the tuning question. I have nothing to compare the MagC tune against. My gut feeling is that the answer is yes...I think there is opportunity for better tuning. Also remember that HP cost money...big tires and a blower use fuel. 12-13mpg around town and 16 on the highway. The truck always seems to need fuel. I did take it on a trip to NC and it performed well on the highway. Zero issues keeping up and passing The Sububus and Preeus that always seem to be in the way. It was an animal on the OffRoad beach in Corolla. Cant tell you how many Nissan Frontiers, Kia's and a Ford Explorer that we yank out of the sand.

And again, as per one of my other posts, I'm not sure I would build another Taco unless the factory makes some changes. The truck will NOT climb anything over a 30 degree incline because the engine losses oil pressure and shuts down. (You said minivan engine.) Furthermore, if you are going to engage in any serious off-roading in the NE with the rocks we have...you will need HD spindles and A-arms. I have replaced one spindle and all 4 A-arms after trails my FJ80 and 40 strolled through. It it will easily get knocked out of alignment. Most of these guys will say DUH. Its not a Land Cruiser. Its not. Just a reminder. Its a good all-round machine that is master of none.

I can not answer the tuning question. I have nothing to compare the MagC tune against. My gut feeling is that the answer is yes...I think there is opportunity for better tuning. Also remember that HP cost money...big tires and a blower use fuel. 12-13mpg around town and 16 on the highway. The truck always seems to need fuel. I did take it on a trip to NC and it performed well on the highway. Zero issues keeping up and passing The Sububus and Preeus that always seem to be in the way. It was an animal on the OffRoad beach in Corolla. Cant tell you how many Nissan Frontiers, Kia's and a Ford Explorer that we yank out of the sand.

And again, as per one of my other posts, I'm not sure I would build another Taco unless the factory makes some changes. The truck will NOT climb anything over a 30 degree incline because the engine losses oil pressure and shuts down. (You said minivan engine.) Furthermore, if you are going to engage in any serious off-roading in the NE with the rocks we have...you will need HD spindles and A-arms. I have replaced one spindle and all 4 A-arms after trails my FJ80 and 40 strolled through. It it will easily get knocked out of alignment. Most of these guys will say DUH. Its not a Land Cruiser. Its not. Just a reminder. Its a good all-round machine that is master of none.
Thanks for the response. I too have quite a few concerns with the construction of the 3rd gen. I only have 285s and I feel like the front end is going to collapse sometimes. As of right now, I do not plan on doing any heavy rock crawling with it. I would one of my other rigs instead. Most of the trials we have in NC Central are not hard at all.

As far as fuel mileage goes. I have a 3.5" lift with 285s, sliders, tune, and now a bumper and I only get about 14.5 mpg. Granted I hit the 6k rpm a lot due to lack of power down below.

HP does cost a lot of $$. I have been eyeing the mag for a while but can't bring myself to pay the ~7k for parts. I am hoping that someone from Mag would watch one of my videos on 5 Lakes garage on youtube and send me one for review. We are small time so that will not happen for a really long time. :)

It looks like a great build and you did a great job on it. Good luck and I will be looking for your other post on it.

Removed the clutch delay valve last week and replaced it with this:
Amazon product ASIN B00AQ2ODS2Techna-Fit Stainless Steel Clutch Line Kit for 2000-2003 HONDA S2000 - HNCL-20

Waaaaayyyy better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom