What brand, type, DOT or usage is GREEN brake fluid in Australia? - 1999 HZJ105r (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Got cruiser back from mechanic after they replaced accumulator/booster and it's got green fluid in the brake system.

I've never seen anything other than clear/amber type for all DOTs other than DOT5.

**Image at bottom

Only type I found was Pentosin CHF 11S hydraulic fluid which is not spec'd to Toyota at all, and certainly not brake system.

I've search forums and can find anything.

Should also mention it's now leaking from the middle grommit OR a fracture I'm the reservoir.

I know I'm gonna have to bleed it cos it's too low now and I can't mix brake fluids to top up, especially when I don't know what type it is.

Another question, can I bleed my cruiser just like any other car? Or do I need special equipment or procedures to bleed the master cylinder, booster, and lines?

I've read about it before but I can't remember and was confused from all the takes on it anyway.

Appreciate any help.

IMG_20221001_140359.jpg

I would recommend just calling the mechanic and asking what they used. We can all guess what it might be, but they can just tell you.

Also if they used the not correct fluid, I would be making them fix it. Depending on what fluid they used, it may not be as simple as draining and filling since an incorrect fluid may be incompatible with the system and also affect gaskets.

The brake systems on our US trucks call for DOT3. Not sure about your 105 but might assume the same but check your OM- and the cap on top of the reservoir usually has the required fluid printed on it.

DOT3 is compatible with DOT4 and DOT5.1 and all three of these variants are produced as a light amber-to clear in color (never anything different) .

It looks like you’ve got DOT 5.0 which is hydraulic oil and will ruin a system designed for DOT3, 4, & 5.1

DOT 5.0 is purple or green.

I've never seen a toyota asking anything else other than DOT 3.

I recently installed a brand new brake master pump WITHOUT any special tool other than a good solid 10 mm wrench and a helper!

Make sure you are aware of brake system (IT IS A SAFETY HAZARD) and know what you are doing.

DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY:
Ignition on, foot on brake and hold,
1) crack open REAR bleeder and wait until you get about 250 mL. Close the bleeder: Refill the reservoir and repeat the other side on rear axle

2) Front usually bleeds on it's own: But I did the following
a) Bled from the front two brake lines attached to the Master pump (lines facing the radiator). Press and hold the paddle and crack open the brake line: Not much flid comes out, may drip, but I repeated 4-5
b) Drive on a dirt/gravel/sand road and (MAKE SURE NO ONE IS BEHIND) apply brakes to lock the wheels: This will activate the ABS pump. I did it about 10 times.

Brakes are good!

Last edited:
Other countries probably still allow other colors for brake fluid.
As Faik the USA only outlawed colored brake fluid a little while ago.

I do want my super blue back.

I may be contradicting my previous post prefaced that in Australia this Bendix Brakes Australia media release says that they changed their DOT4 color from Blue to Straw color in 2019- so I guess it’s possible that the service shop had some old DOT4 fluid around from 3 yrs ago and used it. Can’t tell from the photo if it’s more blue than green.

OP- confirm what they used first then take necessary action.

Other countries probably still allow other colors for brake fluid.
As Faik the USA only outlawed colored brake fluid a little while ago.

I do want my super blue back.

ATE Super Blue was the best. I just looked into this.. apparently colored brake fluid was illegal for the entire 15 years it was on the market. It just took the feds that long to realize that ATE Super Blue was in fact... blue.

And I used tons of it. Blue to amner, amber to blue, it's the best swap being able to see the color. People even talk about what it takes to make it blue online. Good conversations out there.

I may be contradicting my previous post prefaced that in Australia this Bendix Brakes Australia media release says that they changed their DOT4 color from Blue to Straw color in 2019- so I guess it’s possible that the service shop had some old DOT4 fluid around from 3 yrs ago and used it. Can’t tell from the photo if it’s more blue than green.

Yeah it's definitely green.

I'll follow up for sure and let you know.

Okay have them a call and it's DOT4 brake fluid manufactured by ICI, here's a pdf I found about it:

I mixed DOT3 glycol based synthetic brake fluid with it because it was leaking and needed topping up.

Apparently it's non-synthetic and you shouldn't mix synthetic with it, but synthetic is supposed to be silicone based, but even though my DOT3 says it's synthetic it also says it's glycol based, so I hope that won't cause any issues.

Here's the content of the pdf incase it disappears in the future.

DOT 4 Brake Fluid
Product code s8502, June 10, 2004
Description
Synforce Dot 4 Brake Fluid an inhibited glycol ether based blend of brake fluid with a
minimum equilibrium reflux boiling point of 270°C (518°F). It is suitable for most high
performance brake systems including ABS.
Characteristics
Synforce DOT 4 Brake Fluid is a high performance brake fluid suitable for use in average toh igh performance cars with high thermal load around the braking system. It is compatiblew ith all Orica (ICI) brake fluids available in Australia.
It is recommended that, in the absence of specific manufacturer’s data, the fluid be replaced
every 24 months under average driving conditions.
Typical Properties
Appearance: Green fluid, free of foreign matter
PH: 8.2
Reserve Alkalinity 60
Boron % w/w 1.10
Water % w/w 0.2 max
Density @ 20°C 1.073 g/ml
Specification
Passes requirements of FMVSS 116 DOT 4
AS/NZS 1960-1965 for grade 3 brake fluids
SAE J 1703
Equilibrium boiling point 270°C (518°F)
Wet equilibrium boiling point 170°C (338°F)
Viscosity @ 40°C 1800 max
Viscosity @ 100°C 1.5 Min.

Last edited:
Internet crisis averted- 😉 that’s good to know.

What is the cause of the leaking?

Be sure that the brake fluid is not running down the booster motor wires into the rubber protective boots that cover the terminal ends - (the leads between abs unit and booster motor). Fluid collects in those boots and corrodes the screws that secure the wire -

Internet crisis averted- 😉 that’s good to know.

What is the cause of the leaking?

Be sure that the brake fluid is not running down the booster motor wires into the rubber protective boots that cover the terminal ends - (the leads between abs unit and booster motor). Fluid collects in those boots and corrodes the screws that secure the wire -
Yeah it's the middle grommet, part number 31417-35010

It's running down and getting the boot a bit, I replaced the motor and screws recently, and sealed the boot, but I'll clean it up and make sure all good. Thanks for the advice!

I called them and they didn't replace the grommets during change, I mean they're like $2 each... Sad really. Guess it's worn with being taken out and in a bunch recently.

It's also possible they put the wrong grommet back on the middle one, which is different to the other 2 front and rear ones, though I'm not sure the difference in dimensions.

Pickup a new grommet on Thursday local Toyota parts seller. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Okay have them a call and it's DOT4 brake fluid manufactured by ICI, here's a pdf I found about it:

I mixed DOT3 glycol based synthetic brake fluid with it because it was leaking and needed topping up.

Apparently it's non-synthetic and you shouldn't mix synthetic with it, but synthetic is supposed to be silicone based, but even though my DOT3 says it's synthetic it also says it's glycol based, so I hope that won't cause any issues.

Here's the content of the pdf incase it disappears in the future.
You have it covered @Cruiser888 -- could not make the link work because anti-virus did not like it -- but found the Synforce Product Data Sheet (PDS) and the Synforce Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) elsewhere -- attached for convenience.

The MSDS is more helpful – mentions “Polyethylene glycol ether 10-29%” and glycol ether borate ester > 60%”. Like all DOT 3 and DOT 4, the Synforce fluid is a synthetic fluid (not mineral oil based) and the borate component provides the higher boiling points for DOT 4 over DOT 3. However, DOT 4 absorbs moisture more readily, needs to be changed more frequently.

According to all large suppliers of Brake Fluid, DOT 3 and DOT 4 (and DOT 5.1 but not DOT 5) can be mixed but the likely result is DOT 3 boiling points. Boiling points reduce over time as moisture is absorbed.

The attached Penrite information sheet gives helpful reminders.

Colour green is unusual – all the current US, European and Japanese standards call for DOT 3 and DOT 4 to be clear to light amber in colour.

The Factory Service Manuals for 100 series Land Cruisers specify SAE J1703 or FMVSS No. 116 - DOT3. There is not a lot of point in buying anything which is more expensive and may be incompatible – especially DOT 5 which is silicone-based, not glycol based (DOT 5 should be purple, sometimes green).

Owners with Active Height Control (AHC) in LC100/LX470 (not LC105) should note that Toyota/Lexus AHC Fluid has a mineral oil base and if a polyethlylene glycol based brake fluid is misused in the AHC/TEMS systems the brake fluid will “kill” the special elastomers (rubber-like parts) in these systems – especially membranes in ‘globes’, also various valve parts – and moisture from hygroscopic glycols will accelerate internal rust in AHC lines and in internal components.

The words in the Synforce sheets may be out of date: “It (the fluid) is compatible with all Orica (ICI) brake fluids available in Australia”. ICI/Orica has not made these fluids for years. The relevant plant at Botany NSW (near Sydney) is now owned and operated by a Thailand chemical company:

Indorama Ventures Oxides Australia | Indorama Ventures - https://www.indoramaventures.com/en/worldwide/1514/indorama-ventures-oxides-australia

Attachments

• SYNFORCES_dot_4_brake_fluid_MSDS.pdf
    68.4 KB · Views: 42
  • SYNFORCE_dot_4_brake_fluid_PDS.pdf
    230.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Penrite_Brake_Fluids_Explanation.pdf
    512.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom