What are my military trailer options?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yoda-g3

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good military style trailer to tow behind my turbo'd 80. I know the 105's are heavy, but it seems like the 101's are a little weeny (dimension wise). I need something that can haul atvs, bikes, lumber, firewood, etc... Mostly it will be used to haul 2000lbs max (I get 4 tons of pellets a year for home heating and they come in 1 ton pallets.) My current tilt bed side-less trailer measures 5.5' x 10.5' and I'd like the replacement to be wider, but no shorter than 8'. Are there any other models out there that will fit my needs? Think once a month use.

Everyone says the 105's are heavy (2200lbs right?), but seeing as how my 80 has the turbo, beefed up tranny valve body, stiffer springs, upgraded braking, etc would I be fine? I tow boats in the 4000lb range quite a bit without problems, but they do have their own braking system...

Also I'd prefer side rails if possible...

Thanks for any input.

A CDN101 or M416 are about 4' wide, so count those out.

Look for a US101 or 105. Your truck should hold up fine.

Sounds like the US M101 is about what your looking for. M101 Thread. This trailer tows like a dream behind my 1/2 ton pickup, even loaded to the top of the rail with wood.

The M101A2 has surge brakes on it which could be handy if you're hauling a lot of weight.

The M116 is the flat deck or bare chassis version of the same trailer usually has a genset or two on it or other equipment:
12635746.jpg

Thanks guys. Curious, what are all the differences between the US M101A2 and US M105A2? Would both have surge brakes? What is weight / dimensions difference?

The M105 is bigger and heavier, not that familiar with them. They were meant to be towed by the 2-1/2 ton+ truck. Ernie made it work for him: M105 thread.

Sometimes they are easier to find cheap, because there aren't many rigs that can really handle them.

Last edited:
Find a Pioneer Tool trailer. Good size without all the weight.

Thanks guys. Curious, what are all the differences between the US M101A2 and US M105A2? Would both have surge brakes? What is weight / dimensions difference?

The 105 does not have surge brakes. Comes with Air/hydraulic setup designed for the M35 deuce. I dont understand why everyone downs the 105 for weight. If the trailer and expected loads are within the GCWR for the vehicle, then there is no problem. 80 series and FJC should be tow rated for 5000 pounds. The 101 is the more ideal and ready to use choice. The obstacle to the 105 is leveling it for safe towing. 40 in tires and normal truck hitch heights just aren't compatible. I think I am the only one with a 105 on the forum, so that makes my opinion outside the norm, but I use it all the time and everyone comments on it. Even had offers to buy it.

The 105 does not have surge brakes. Comes with Air/hydraulic setup designed for the M35 deuce. I dont understand why everyone downs the 105 for weight. If the trailer and expected loads are within the GCWR for the vehicle, then there is no problem. 80 series and FJC should be tow rated for 5000 pounds. The 101 is the more ideal and ready to use choice. The obstacle to the 105 is leveling it for safe towing. 40 in tires and normal truck hitch heights just aren't compatible. I think I am the only one with a 105 on the forum, so that makes my opinion outside the norm, but I use it all the time and everyone comments on it. Even had offers to buy it.

Thank man. I just posted some questions about your setup in your original thread to keep it tidy for others that are toying with this route.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up finding a US 101A1 this weekend in Yakima. Got home last night. I'll post some pics when I get a chance. She's is pretty good shape overall. Just needs new wood ans some paint. The 105 area ll over the place so I figured I'd start with a 101 and upgrade later if it proves to be too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom