What are differences in factory sway / anti-roll bars on 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious if the factory sway / anti-roll bars vary between spec levels, country market, production year, etc. on 80 series?

I'm aware there are differences in the mount brackets onto the chassis.

The front fj80 is thinner than the fzj80 swabar.
IIRC 27mm/30mm.
As for the rear I don't know.
Specs are in my build thread.

Just asking because I've long suspected the front swaybar on my 80 'slips' and bangs into the radius arms despite having what I believe are the correct bushes in the mounts. Could be something else. Specific to the right side. It might be the rear-mount end of the RHS radius arm banging into the chassis rail (they're aftermarket arms so the steel is much chunkier than the cast factory arms).

Slipping on a bunnings onion into 2023. I still cannot solve the clunking issue so I'm going to try removing the front roll/sway bar and drive around some of the normal places where I know I get the clunking to see if it changes the behaviour. I've checked and all the swaybar mounts seem snug/tight, the bushes are all correct (and new just a cpl of yrs ago). I have changed the front swaybar mounts on the chassis to the later (like a balljoint) type but those mounts are bolted up tight.

Could you be more specific on the "clunking issue"? I had a noise on my 80 during turning (only right IIRC) which after some inspection turned out to be caused by a damaged steering damper. New one fitted and issue all resolved. If you can detail more about the kind of sound you hear, any specific driving conditions it seems to occur on, frequency, maybe even some pictures of the underside in relevant places you suspect are involved, you might be able to get more useful feedback.

Also, out of curiosity, what aftermarket arms are you running? Superior Engineering?

Right side, seems to occur where there is a rapid change in road undulation. Running buds customs arms for 4 inch lift. I can't get it to occur if I jump up and down on the right side of the bullbar violently to make the suspension load up.

If I had a go pro or similar I'd strap it underneath in various places and go to a spot where I know the clunks occur every time (doing a right turn at a particular intersection near where I live) and try to see/hear what happens.

Chassis ears are a handy tool for diagnosing on road noises.

Are the top mounting bolts on your shocks tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom