What am I missing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is a 77 FJ40. I noticed that the steps below the doors really flex when stepped on, to the point of bending the sheet metal they're bolted onto, but having bigger fish to fry I really haven't looked into why until today... just avoided stepping on them. Here's a pic of the driver's side showing the support piece that presumably should connect to the step to support it.

The two parts are at least an inch apart. I don't see any evidence of a body lift, nor do I see any obvious way to adjust the position of the bracket or step, so my question is what parts am I missing? Is it supposed to bolt up directly or is there supposed to be a spacer there?
step.jpg

Looks like your missing a body mount, not sure if you can buy only one of them. maybe some one around here has an extra one you can have...

cut some conveyor belt 1/2thick and drill a hole

toss it in and call it good

i think thats what they had stock

the old stuff i've parted had a chunk of canvasy type material, and newer ones (77-ish) had a thick chunk of rubber.

I've done the same thing using a piece cut from a truck mudflap. Drilling a hole never worked for me but I have a set of cheapo punches that work great.

Can't you get someone to route the exhaust somewhere besides the crunchzone?

GL

Ed

Degnol said:
I've done the same thing using a piece cut from a truck mudflap. Drilling a hole never worked for me but I have a set of cheapo punches that work great.

Can't you get someone to route the exhaust somewhere besides the crunchzone?

GL

Ed

Thanks to everybody who responded. I'll see what I can find to make something out of.

Re the exhaust, that's a PO installed thing. It's on the list, but down aways. It also leaks :mad: Mechanically there's alot of bogus things that really needed to be taken care of first (leaky master, leaky clutch slave cyl, carb dumping so much gas that the engine oil was literally reeking of it etc... all now fixed, so it's almost safe to drive!).

I just asked about these because I really wasn't sure what should go there and I was afraid the first time somebody else got it or out the'd step there and bend something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom