Wet driver floor, AC drains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you get a box fan in there to move some air?

I did a little vornado near the desecant packs to try to get some flow . That said even before the fan after baking for a few hours, it felt extremely dry. I'm hoping this will just be the polish for anything I can't feel or see. Damprid is apparently the good stuff

Roof rack Bolts are the most common source of water coming into the cab.
Even on a cruiser that's never had it's factory rails removed? Previous owners were very old, I can't see them being the swap the roof rails type...

I did a little vornado near the desecant packs to try to get some flow . That said even before the fan after baking for a few hours, it felt extremely dry. I'm hoping this will just be the polish for anything I can't feel or see. Damprid is apparently the good stuff

Even on a cruiser that's never had it's factory rails removed? Previous owners were very old, I can't see them being the swap the roof rails type...
Damprid is good stuff, but it has to be bone dry or you might end up with a bit of mold.

Damprid is good stuff, but it has to be bone dry or you might end up with a bit of mold.
Agreed. Im of a mind that the descicant will do a better job than opening to ambient though, it's pretty humid outside and I'm getting humidity down in the 16-22% range on the interior. I'll probably ride around with the packs in the trunk for a week or so just to be safe.
My backup plan is if it smells a little dank I'll hit it with the ozone generator and run my basement dehumidifier in the trunk for a day lol

Agreed. Im of a mind that the descicant will do a better job than opening to ambient though, it's pretty humid outside and I'm getting humidity down in the 16-22% range on the interior. I'll probably ride around with the packs in the trunk for a week or so just to be safe.
My backup plan is if it smells a little dank I'll hit it with the ozone generator and run my basement dehumidifier in the trunk for a day lol
The basement dehumidifier is a great idea. That'll also tell you exactly how much water is coming out.

And we’re back to square one. Well, maybe 2. I don’t get water flowing into the cabin anymore but I have a leak above the dead peddle. After raining all night it’s only a little bit of water, so whatever this is I think it was in addition to the windshield. Didn’t show up with the hose either (first leak did)

Roof rack Bolts are the most common source of water coming into the cab.

Can a bone stock roof rail that has never been taken off leak? Any way to check for it?

I’ll entertain any ideas at this point. I’m pretty stumped.

Last edited:
I gave up and took it to the dealer. They did an air check on the drains and windshield, perfect. They say they can see it dribbling in through a small hole in the bulk head.

One of the techs is thinking possibly a missassembled body seam. #CursedCruiser

Y’all aren’t going to believe this. They got the fender off and found the leak. At the point where 5 panels meet there’s a blob of sealant that failed. The water routing off of the windscreen dumps right into that spot and pipes it straight to the firewall.

So, if anyone else has impossible to find leaks, check the joining point I guess ? Still needs to be sealed and leak tested but if that turns out to be it, I can’t believe they found it so quickly. Needle in a haystack.

D19D379E-C0CC-4026-AD4F-CAB1B44C0226.jpeg

DC30300B-C548-47BE-BE8F-B1FAD2B55C79.jpeg

That's quite bizarre. You may want to call Toyota corporate to see if this is a (semi) known issue as the spot where the seal failed doesn't look very finished - a mis-stamping perhaps? You can ask corporate if they'll contribute to the cost of the repair - they might and the worst that happens is that they say "no".

That's quite bizarre. You may want to call Toyota corporate to see if this is a (semi) known issue as the spot where the seal failed doesn't look very finished - a mis-stamping perhaps? You can ask corporate if they'll contribute to the cost of the repair - they might and the worst that happens is that they say "no".
You can sure bet I’ll be having a word with corporate. That was confirmed as the point of ingress, they sealed it up and it passed the leak test with flying colors.
500 bucks worth of diagnostics and repair work

Wow.. that seems like a large hole to have sealant stay on the surface and stay intact.

I agree. Good on them finding it so quickly.. unfortunate that you had an errant glob of urethane (and my advice) pointing toward the windshield..

That’s impressive work on the part of the dealer. I’d bet anyone in your area would want to know about them.

Wow.. that seems like a large hole to have sealant stay on the surface and stay intact.

I agree. Good on them finding it so quickly.. unfortunate that you had an errant glob of urethane (and my advice) pointing toward the windshield..

That’s impressive work on the part of the dealer. I’d bet anyone in your area would want to know about them.
You're absolutely right, Northway Toyota in Latham NY. Great bunch of folks, I can't believe they found something that small so quick.

Actually the real hole was way smaller. That larger hole is fine, it goes to the engine bay. The real hole is that little bump on the lip of the larger hole. When they pressurized the spot they saw the water coming in from, they saw it bubbling from the bottom of that little port.

Windshield needed sealing anyway, the leak was worse before that. Me and the tech think instead of tearing into it they did a windshield reseal poorly in the search for that same leak. Made it worse trying to make it better .

Geez that windshield washer fluid tank is huge!

So, the only way to inspect this is to remove the fender?

Geez that windshield washer fluid tank is huge!

So, the only way to inspect this is to remove the fender?
Absolutely massive, makes me wonder what's on the other side (room for activities? Lol)

That's what it's looking like, it's in there. You might be able to inspect the sealer integrity looking under the cowel farther up, mine was crumbly.

I'm going to take a look from the inside and see what I can see cowl on fender on when I get home .

To clean it and seal it properly though , I'm thinking fender off

Wait... you just bought it? From the NY dealer mentioned? If so, I'd think they might "help" out - as well as Toyota Customer Care.

I suspect this is not as isolated an occurrence as we all might think - the fact the dealership found it so quickly makes me think this is the case. As mentioned on here years ago - my 100 series fan was "stuck" on low - and it was getting into the peak of summer. In addition to checking the fan motor and housing, I also swapped out the control board that sits on top of the center stack below the radio. Nothing worked. Finally threw in the towel and took it into the dealer...

Turns out it was the cell phone module (long since had removed the analog only cell phone)...it had malfunctioned and "thought" I was on a call and did what it was supposed to do, reduce the fan speed (it also would have muted the radio were the factory device still there).

I NEVER would have "gone" there - the service guys had seen it happen once before so could fix it in no time,

Wait... you just bought it? From the NY dealer mentioned? If so, I'd think they might "help" out - as well as Toyota Customer Care.

I suspect this is not as isolated an occurrence as we all might think - the fact the dealership found it so quickly makes me think this is the case. As mentioned on here years ago - my 100 series fan was "stuck" on low - and it was getting into the peak of summer. In addition to checking the fan motor and housing, I also swapped out the control board that sits on top of the center stack below the radio. Nothing worked. Finally threw in the towel and took it into the dealer...

Turns out it was the cell phone module (long since had removed the analog only cell phone)...it had malfunctioned and "thought" I was on a call and did what it was supposed to do, reduce the fan speed (it also would have muted the radio were the factory device still there).

I NEVER would have "gone" there - the service guys had seen it happen once before so could fix it in no time,

That's the catch, I did not purchase it from the dealer mentioned. Had I, I have no doubt they'd help out. There were no LC's (in good shape that I could find) in upstate NY without accidents on their carfax. I drove to West Virginia to get mine.

The service writer at NorthWay suggested I contact the dealer and if no response in a couple days open a case with Toyota and gave me all the contact info necessary to make that happen, so they're definitely trying.

I emailed the selling dealer with everything I got (pictures, service invoice, tech description) and the manager said he forwarded it to their support group and they'd give me a call. I figure I'll give them a couple days to think about it then open up the case. They seemed nice when I bought the thing, I figure I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Funny you should mention it though, the tech said he'd only seen this kind of thing once before on a "Japan Assembled Toyota", a 2nd gen Prius. That sentence feels loaded, I'm guessing this may be a "thing" on some other of their cars....

In the grand scheme of life, it is finally fixed. I am sure you slept well last night. Did you get a great deal on the 200?
Agreed. At least I won't look like a crazy person anymore shoving my hand up the firewall in various parking lots

For a 2013 with 80ish k miles and no accidents on record, I think they gave me a pretty good deal. Makes the various repairs and such less of a pain more of an irritation.
This was the first major thing, other stuff was minor (Crayon on the headliner, some surface rust underneath, busted seat fan, missing headphones, "previous owner had the fingernails of a witch and clawed the crap out of the paint under the handles", touchy accelerator peddle, windshield reseal).
Even with all of that I think I'm still under where I'd be if I had paid average price + Tax... So long as it stays under that imaginary line I'm not loosing sleep. I kind of want to put a thermometer in the garage like a fund raiser. If it hits the top, I loose my cool lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom