Went out for a drive today (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And it was awesome!

I'm pretty new to 4wding, and we've had record rain-fall and flooding in Darwin, Northern Territory (Australia)

I initially went to the dump with my weekly palm fronds (leaves) and the line was too long so I took off into the bush and just placed them in the bush as fertiliser.

I went through some really cool boggy mudflats and half the time what little gravel road/bush track was left was acting as a small creek and most of it has washed away leaving the harder rocky soil left behind. The water was still rushing along these crevases.

I am really suprised at how well the 80 with standard 16" all terrain tyres go in mud. I almost got bogged quite a few times when the landscape changed and the mud gave way but I always just powered on through. I like to use a bit of speed because I know that going too slow through a really bad spot will stop me in my tracks. In the really hairy looking bog I stopped and engaged low gear first. Looking in my rear-view mirror I saw that the tyres had gotten really deep in sections and I didn't seem to loose traction at any stage, was sliding around alot and steering became very sloppy and lagged behind but I just kept on going. I could feel the truck sinking and losing speed real fast.

It got me wondering: how deep in water can I go without a snorkel?
I figure that I could go juuust below the air intake inlet, but then wouldn't the electrics start failing and shorting out?

Thanks guys.

Croozer- love the name! Wish I thought oof that:idea:

I used the other o.....oof...:eek:

I've got some on my phone but no software for it to get to my pc.. Will try again tonight. I'm really lucky cause I'm literally surrounded by bush tracks where I live, or, where anyone lives up here in the top end.

Hmmm. I dunno if you're serious or taking the piss but I've never done that before, I'm still listenin' to cassettes in the 80 for pete's sake mate! :steer: :cheers: Just kiddin' ;)

I must say also, that I cannot believe the amount of s***e I saw in the bush..
It's pretty sickening really. People had just dumped their rubbish all over the place.
There were cars around every bend, tyres, prams, KITCHENS!.. and whatever else you can think of just left there because either the dump wouldn't accept it (if you're in a truck then they won't take it) or the dump was closed at the time. One of the two. Quite discusting really. I know that the land is slowly being developed so one day the developers will have to remove the cstuff but in the mean time it's pretty bad.

Last edited:
Cool, Thanx man!
This first, and second shot is from my 1st 4wd expedition and is about 2 mins drive from home, it's a cool track but I haven't been all the way because one section is too boggy to pass at the moment.

The 3rd was taken yesterday and features Gyps, Shes one of my girls and has been with me for 12 years now. Shes the boss. This was just a cool scenic part with some development going on, weird place for it.. I only took a few snaps,
mail.jpg
mail1.jpg
mail2.jpg

Last edited:
Heres one on the beach a few weeks ago.. These tides range from 0 metres at low tide, and get to 8m at high, all within 6 hours of each other. We watched this dude drive his boat in to the shallows, jump out and into the Cruiser, and then backed into the water. He took the opportunity to race while we were around to possibly drag his ass out because no-one else was in the area at the time..
mail4.jpg

And a few more, it looks cold in these pictures but it's the wet season (for 6 months of the year) here at the moment and it's hot and muggy, 100% humidity.
6.jpg
mail7.jpg
mail5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom