Welding...What is the best "STARTER KIT" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thedoughboy

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been doing a little reading on the ins-and-outs of welding. From DIY bumper kits, racks, frozen bolts, light mounts....I need to learn how to do this. I was wondering what you would recommend as a good starter set-up?

HF has there 90 AMP flux welding on sale for $85. I know this is not high quality, nor can it weld very thick steel, but is it a decent starter?

I heard good things about it ( for what it is)
Buy the warranty.
You will be limited to flux core wire. However you get better penetration, but get used to wire wheeling everything to get the flux off.

I dont think youll be happy with it. Easy to get frustrated.

Buy a decent 110 with gas.

what is your budget? 140 (110v) to 180 (220v) amp mig may be the best for starting out.. 180 or higher you can weld thick metal in 1 pass as the lower you will have to do multiple passes and maybe have to pre-heat the metal.
i started off with a 130 amp mig cost about 500-600 with tank, consumables, gloves, and helmet. it did everything i needed at the time. i then upgraded to a millermatic 252 which does more than what i need right now but i wont have to upgrade anymore. they run new $2500 and up

it does splatter a lot so a good portion of your time will be clean up, but ive had mine for years with no issue.. its a good beginner welder.

but like previously stated IMO buck up and buy a good decent mig, and hit up the youtube university

Go pick up a class at your local JC or tech school. Once you lean a little you can make a better choice about what you want/ need. After you know how to weld it is easy to go out and find a good used unit. John

Don't step any lower than a MIG welder and buy a decent one, probably over $400. MIG is super easy and fun: a great machine to encourage you to weld. It splatters a lot but welding is fast an easy, although not as safe, precise and clean as TIG.

So TIG is my next suggestion. I bought a no-name Chinese TIG machine ($800) some years ago and after some minor upgrades (different handle, more flexible gas tube) it welds like a champ. TIG welding does take time to learn so you need to be patient but you can weld whatever you want and you can do it in shorts and flip-flops and no spark will splatter. There is no coming back to MIG after you weld for a while with TIG.

So if welding is just a weekend hobby, go for the MIG. But if you plan to make some serious stuff, TIG is the way to go.

My Hobart 140 (110v) has been nothing but good to me. Great little machine. When I step up to 220v it will be another Hobart. They're actually made by the same parent company that makes Miller welders.

izItFUbh.jpg

I recently bought the 90 amp HF unit to do the custom seat brackets for my 80. It gets the job done. If I had a better selection of outlets I would get there bigger 170 amp that's on sale for $150 right now. And if I had lots of money to throw around and was only going to do it once, well I don't know because I don't have enough experience. So for now I will play with what I have, maybe get some sticks and try out the Miller at work and go from there.

i would buy a 220v. I bought a 110v lincoln long time ago ~10 years ago. It has been great, but I wish I would have sprung for a bigger machine the first time.

It's a decent beginner welder. And by that I mean basically to learn to weld IMO. I'd go to a 110v w/ gas. Much more usable and can weld decent thickness.

If you do go flux core, spraying the area with cooking oil helps mitigate some of the splatter.

I have had my Lincoln 220 v mig for about 8 yrs. No gas. Works great everytime. Will weld thick to thin. Great starter machine and a keeper for moderate use.

Also check craigslist for the Home Depot Lincoln's. I learned on a Lincoln with flux core.
My opinion is you will learn a lot using a under powered welder. I would bevel a lot and often pre heat the pieces. However it's not really ideal.

I prefer the millers machines. It wouldn't hurt to buy the HF welder. At least if it's not your thing your not out of $$.

Buy yourself a good mask. The HF mask is OK for the price. But if you have the $$ buy a good one. Cyberweld.com is easy to deal with and have good prices.

Usually metal places will sell their cut offs and remnants by the pound so skip buying your materials at lowes or Home Depot and practice in that stuff.

Also the 20% coupons don't work in welders. Although you can always try.

For the bang for your buck take a look at the miller 211 it can use 110 or 220 it runs about 1000. to 1100. But I think you will find it will be the last welder you need to buy.I use 110 units in the field at work and there ok but if you need to weld heavier material the 220 machines have it hands down.this machine can do both. I noticed the Lincoln has come out with dual voltage machines.The biggest difference I found between the miller and the Lincoln was that the miller came setup for a spool gun and the Lincoln you had to buy a kit with a switch. the machine from harbor freight have very short duty cycles.They may work fine for you.I have had the lincoln 155--. loews 220 machine worked great on mid range welding.the lincoln 140 110 unit from airgas---main machine for working in the field with a honda 3000 generator.the lincoln 180 again lowes.hated it from day one gave it away and the the miller 211 from the local welding shop airgas <------best one by far.My experience has shown cheap will get it done with a lot of time. Good will get it done faster.I am not a professional welder and I don't have lots of time to spare and I prefer to get the job done right the first time.good luck with your choices

I haven't used the lincoln dual but it would have to better then the 180 I got from lowes .Had to buy one to finish a project when my 155 died and it was sunday.Then after the fact i was told the homedepot and lowes units had different transformers then the ones from the commercial shops.It did ok for an emergency but it was replaced as fast as i could.

I have been using an Astro Mig 130 for over 25 years. I have done tons of bumper/frame/suspension/roofracks, and I have done tons of repairs on the USA Today printing presses over the years. It still works good. I don't know it they are even still available. I recommend you start with a small to medium MIG. Buy lots of wire and gas, and all the scrap artel you can. Weld, weld, weld,?til you start feeling like your getting the hang of it before you start welding anything important. John

With no experience welding whatsoever, I bought a welder last November. Here is my "kit". This includes a 16ft long 220V extension cord, gas, and protective gear. I searched for the best price on each item and the total came to a little over $1110. I use each and every item on this when I'm welding and wouldn't change anything.

Hobart Handler 190 with regulator Tractor Supply $643
Auto adjusting welding helmet with XL view Amazon $85
Welding jacket Amazon $20
Tillman gloves Amazon $17
Welding cap Amazon $10
Welding cart Harbor Freight $40
Welding pliers Amazon $21
20lb shielding gas cylinder Harbor Freight $70
40lb cylinder exchange and fill Tractor Supply $54
Welding clamp Tractor Supply $15
Welding table Harbor Freight $63
10lb solid wire spool Tractor Supply $32
Wire brush Home Depot $2
220V extension cord wire --- $0
Nema 6-50 female Amazon $12
Nema 6-50 male Home Depot $10
MIG tip dip Tractor Supply $10
400 amp ground clamp Harbor Freight $8
Slag hammer Harbor Freight $5
C-clamp --- $0

I started with flux (it was free) but then moved to gas. Gas is sooo much easier. Do not bother with a 110V welder. All my friends told me to jump straight to 220V and they were right. 220V really puts the power down for deep penetration. The recommended settings are a little too aggressive for me and I tend to burn through on thin material.

I plan on building a front bumper, spare tire carrier, sliders, roof rack, and fixing my caster correction. I've got friends that want to borrow time on my welder since their 110V won't do the job.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom