Welder advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have broken off a few (hundred) bolts and also getting into having to repair some rust on the body panels (rockers, fender, etc). I am considering getting a welder.

Some of the uses include:
  • sheet metal
  • bolts (extraction)
  • the odd bracket
Nothing too serious. However, I do think that I may want to keep the door open for welding thicket metal down the line. I searched for some advice and it seems much of the content is quite old suggesting a Hobart 187. I am not even sure they still make/sell those anymore.

I only have 110V in my garage, but can access the 220V on rare occasion if I need it. Any advice?

Once I figure in the welder, cart, bottle, helmet, gloves, etc etc etc, it seems that this might sting a little. Anyone here perform a recent purchase that they are happy with?

I have considered the Vulcan brand, but I think I might stick with the Hobart, Lincoln, Miller brands. Buy once, cry once.

Thoughts?

Craigslist has been my go-to for finding tools like welders, I barely missed a new in box Lincoln 180 Power Mig dual voltage last winter for $800, but ended up with a used Millermatic 211 for $500. I would highly recommend looking for a dual voltage unit, I used to have a Millermatic 140 and was constantly running it at the limit of what it could weld. I run my 211 on 120v most of the time when I'm doing small stuff, but the ability to burn together 3/8" material is super nice. If you're comfortable getting a used machine look at the comparable models from Miller, Lincoln, Hobart and then when a good deal pops up locally you can jump on it. Reasonably priced welders don't last long on Craigslist. The higher the output the better in my opinion, big machines can always weld small stuff but not the other way around. I would say around 180 amp would be the minimum of what I would look for.

Gerhard, Hobart is great, but you already found the problem with great; it's like chasing the best looking girl in a bar.

I have an HTP 110 that works really well for me; let me know if you want a test drive. The current model is the HTP 130. They are made in Italy, but sold and stocked in the US by USA weld. I cannot recommend them highly enough for our use; I wouldn't put them up against Lincoln or Miller, but you're not looking to weld to pay the bills. USA weld also has the best selection and prices for consumables.

I bought my son the Miller 282000 helmet; we both love it. It fits well, has lots of adjustment, is light and the auto lens works like a charm. I bought it, and my gases, from Airgas near the airport. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't retail. No matter what helmet you buy it should have all the features of the Miller. Even for occasional use, you want a good helmet, or you won't weld, and then you've wasted the money on the welder.

BTW, you really don't need CO2 gas for mig welding, it just makes your welds cleaner. Welding a nut or bolt onto a stud, for example, is a waste of gas. You'll only use the weld once, and if it breaks, it's no big deal, you just weld it again.

I have an HTP 110 that works really well for me; let me know if you want a test drive. The current model is the HTP 130.

I bought my son the Miller 282000 helmet; we both love it. It fits well, has lots of adjustment, is light and the auto lens works like a charm. I bought it, and my gases, from Airgas near the airport. I can't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't retail. No matter what helmet you buy it should have all the features of the Miller. Even for occasional use, you want a good helmet, or you won't weld, and then you've wasted the money on the welder.
I will look into that welder. Thanks. I also am thinking that I want the best helmet. Dont want to burn out my corneas.

Don't forget to add a welder cart to your shopping list; dragging that thing along the floor gets old really quick. Even though the HTP has wheels, I put it on a cart for portability and access; I'm too old to be crawling around on the floor adjusting dials and rethreading wire.

A friend just called me with a Lincoln Weld-Pak 155 and cart for sale for $300. Dont know if that is a good welder or a good price.

Is it equipped with shielding gas, or just set up for flux-core wire? You'll definitely want gas, especially if you plan on doing most of your welding indoors. One thing to note, the Weld-Pak 155 is a 220v machine, so it may not be ideal in your situation.

Regarding helmets, I bought an inexpensive Lincoln auto-darkening helmet from Home Depot when I started welding and it has been great. I've had it for about 4 years and still use it regularly, though it is about time to replace the lens.

I will always promote Miller. you say you have access to 220....For the money, the little 215 is a great machine for a portable 110/220 welder. if this is out of your reach, look for a used unit....facebook, craigslist or even your local steel fab guy. I update my handhelds every 2-3 years, they most likely will do the same if prompted with a buyer......most of the time 25% of new. Try to stay away from multi or fancy combination units....If none of my comments is suit your needs, PLEASE make sure you use gas with your mig...... flux core will be very aggravating to a newer weldor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom