Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who knows, we may be shaving with the USS Tarawa..😳 I never really thought about it before but, the life expectancy of these old ships is not that long at all. Except for an LST. Those ships and roaches will inherit the earth…
I was stationed on two ships during my career and both were over 40 years old, WW2 era ships, when I arrived. Seems like these newer vessels are disposable.

Just found this vet thread. Army. Infantry. TOW gunner. Served as a driver, loader, gunner, and TC during my time in the 8th ID. Lee Barracks, Mainz-Gonsenheim, WEST Germany. Got out a couple of months before the Berlin Wall fell. Bought my '78 FJ40 about a week before 9/11. She's been running, then not running off and on since. She was a field find I bought as a mostly disassembled rollover with the inside filled with boxes of parts and fasteners. Original investment: $150. Total investment? Probably more than $7000. She still only has 65K miles. Mostly stock except for 2.5" shackle reverse kit and 33's. The hard top was destroyed so I had a soft top that lasted about 15 years in the New Mexico sun. Now I run her doorless with a Bikini top.

I was in Baumholder, 8th ID was there too. But I wasn’t in it.

Greetings UncaMo , Welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. I did 3 years in a Attack Helicopter unit out of Ansbach.

Larry in El Paso

Hello,
I’ve got 14 years under my belt with the SCANG doing avionics on fighters. I recently acquired a yard ornament for 500.00 and am starting on it. I’m here to learn as much as possible and also announce myself to the veteran community, I do charter trips in South Carolina for veterans and LEO through Hometown Heros and Tackle22 fishing.

40A4E27D-AAF1-4650-9665-FC11FBCF82BF.jpeg

You might consider what you have as a blank canvas. Welcome to the Highway.

Larry in El Paso

Just found this thread while reading @rkymtnflyfisher build thread. USMC 2D LAR 04'-08' with a couple trips to the box. I'm an ambassador for Warrior Surf Foundation based out of Folly Beach, SC where we get veterans involved in a 12 week program that involves wellness, yoga, and a whole lot of surfing. I'd really like to get my hands on a solid 40 or 60 one of these days. Nice finding this thread!

Just found this thread while reading @rkymtnflyfisher build thread. USMC 2D LAR 04'-08' with a couple trips to the box. I'm an ambassador for Warrior Surf Foundation based out of Folly Beach, SC where we get veterans involved in a 12 week program that involves wellness, yoga, and a whole lot of surfing. I'd really like to get my hands on a solid 40 or 60 one of these days. Nice finding this thread!
Welcome! It is always nice to have another Jarhead around! I could use some wellness, but the only yoga poses that my shoulders and knees allow me to do are the sitting and laying poses, and I can do that at home... :hillbilly: :hillbilly:

Welcome! It is always nice to have another Jarhead around! I could use some wellness, but the only yoga poses that my shoulders and knees allow me to do are the sitting and laying poses, and I can do that at home... :hillbilly: :hillbilly:
Thanks! You'd be surprised with how flexible you can be. We have veterans come through with every imaginable physical disability and end up being shocked at how helpful yoga has been for them. You're not that far from Folly. We have veterans come through the program from all over the country. Check it out @ warriorsurf.org

greetings @outlaw4shrt , thanks for your service. I would have responded sooner but Chemo has been a bear. Where are you wanting to end up?

Larry in El Paso

I just found this thread!

US. Army from 2000-2012, blackhawk crewdawg/mech. 4 deployments, 3 to Iraq and 1 to afghan.
Currently in Rocket City as a contractor doing data analysis.

Have a 5th Gen 4Runner, but after wheeling last weekend with a 60, 80, and 100 series LC, now I may have to convert to the LC! I bought this 5th gen as it sits currently in an attempt to get into overlanding, but its a bit of a gas-pig. I know with any added weight, the mileage is just going to continue to go down. I'd prefer to have a dedicated "fun rig" and go back to having a run-around car that gets good mileage.

Welcome @ladywolf to the highway. Thanks for your service. I hope you find a LC that is you.

Larry in El Paso

Thanks Larry. Lots to consider and think about!

greetings @outlaw4shrt , thanks for your service. I would have responded sooner but Chemo has been a bear. Where are you wanting to end up?

Larry in El Paso
Hi Larry, I'm sorry that I didn't see this till now. Both mine and my wife's family live in Virginia, so we are hoping to land there. I am actually trying to go back to school as well so we are trying to head to Charlottesville.

Please tell as much or as little, about yourself, as you like... but give us a first name, branch of service and period of service.

Hello Team,

I was in the Navy, Fire Control Tech working on the CWIS. I was on the Roanoke (AOR-7) and he Gridley (CG-21).

Made one westpac and a heck of a lot of cruising in the north pacific.

I blew out my hip and that was the end of my military life. The pic below is when I reenlisted after our westpac.

FTG2 Johnson.jpg

Welcome @donj51 to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Welcome @Subrina to the highway. Thanks for your service. I did 43 years of government service including 12 years of active duty.

Larry in El Paso

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom