Weird electrical issue 2002 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright wiring guru's, who's up for a challenge?? I've got a good one here!

2002 Toyota Land Cruiser, 151K miles, I had just filled up and after starting the car the radio starting spazzing, the dash started spazzing as well with needles moving all over the place, and all of a sudden all of the electronics died inside and outside and the car shut off. I tried restarting the car and it started up completely normally and ran fine, but the entirety of electronics were dead. No radio, no dash, no windows, no exterior or interior lights, locks, transmission brake pedal unlock doesn't work (works with override), but the vehicle runs smoothly and will shift fine.

What does work: starter, anything to keep the drivetrain operational, horn, emergency flashers and only the door open warning light inside.

I'm seriously stumped, I got a new battery a few weeks ago put in and I looked around the engine bay and nothing is standing out. I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to wiring and electronics so I really don't know the next step here. Chaffed wiring? Fuses? Alternator? Who's up for the challenge?

Have you cleaned the trailer wiring? If possible disconnect and see.

Start with voltage check at the battery at idle. Must have close to 14 V.

The suggestion to check your fuse panels might be a good start. You have one in the engine bay and one behind the left outside kick panel below the gas cap door and hood release. My 2000 had its windshield replaced 2X over its life. The second time the windshield leaked at the top left so it looked like it might be the sunroof. I eventually found water between the front left quarter and the back of the fuse panel. The windshield had been leaking especially when taking the car to a hi pressure car wash where I washed it with the wand. Resealed the windshield which was a real pain. Stopped the electrical issues. It caused absolutely crazy things to happen to the electronics esp warning lights in the dash, door locks etc. Good luck stay vigilant, it can take a while to figure out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom