Weber to OEM Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have seen some discussion on the conversions back to an OEM carb on here. I had my mechanic install the new carb and it ran great for a bit on my '78 with 2f. However, I went to start it today and it started hard and wouldn't find idle. I checked under the hood the carburetor was leaking fuel and completely full. I have not installed the fuel return line as of yet but am doing that tomorrow as I am guessing that is the issue. Is there anything else you FJ wizards can think of that I should keep an eye out for?

0608211233_HDR.jpeg

Fuel is supposed to enter that carburetor from the front. Unless someone has drilled out the restrictor in the banjo bolt, you are going to have a very hard time getting any usable rpms out of that carb.

what are the flakes all over? Carburetors are very sensitive to dirt. If you get dirt between the needle and seat, the float cannot close the needle to the seat, and the carburetor will flood.

Thanks for the reply guys. Great to know that the fuel line is on the wrong side.... I'll swap the lines when I install the return today.

The leak I am getting is at the top of the intake manifold since the carburetor flooded, likely due to the swapped lines, I am getting after the project today and will check back in.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give an update. I have added a return line to the truck and swapped the lines. Photo below, I noted which lines are the feed and return as I have them set up now. I also opened up the carb and found that there was some of the black gunk in the needle valve. While I was there I cleaned all of the jets with compressed air and made sure they were clear.

Let me know if you guys see anything weird about my set up (besides the duct tape) and hopefully I'll crank it over tonight!

Also called my mechanic a few days ago to let him know that the shop got the line on backwards in case they run into another stock carb again,. He seems to have forgotten my phone number 🙃.

Carb.jpeg

It is a return spring for the throttle I switched to a cable throttle rather than going the OEM route. Photo below.

Throttle Cable.jpeg

Hey Guys, final report for this issue!

I got the truck running this morning with the help of another cruiser friend. The bowl is now filling correctly after I cleaned the carb a second time. There was even more debris in the needle valve resulting in overflow. I gotta lean out the mixture but I have a running rig. Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom