Webber carb problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I go out and drive my cruiser and its fine. then if I let it sit for 10 min. (say run in a store or something) and start it , it wont idle and dies. If I keep it running and drive it a block or so then shut it off and wait about 5 min . it starts right up and idles fine and runs fine. I was wondering if I still need a pressure regulator since I have a return line back to the tank and figured that would take care of excessive pressure. (AND I DID SEARH POSER BUT COULDNT FIND A ANSWER ABOUT THE RETURN LINE ;) )

I had a regulator on mine for years with the stock 79 fuel pump and took it off 2 years ago and haven't noticed any difference at all. I had a very similar problem to this with my mustang when I first bought it, which has a very similar fuel system. The gas in the carb was actually boiling and evaporating when I shut it off. It wouldn't start for beans after shutting it off for a few minutes. Not to mention it started hard whenever it had been shut off hot. I put a 1/2" carb spacer on it and it hasn't been an issue since. Also keep in mind lots of times carb problems are really ignition problems in disguise.

I go out and drive my cruiser and its fine. then if I let it sit for 10 min. (say run in a store or something) and start it , it wont idle and dies. If I keep it running and drive it a block or so then shut it off and wait about 5 min . it starts right up and idles fine and runs fine. I was wondering if I still need a pressure regulator since I have a return line back to the tank and figured that would take care of excessive pressure. (AND I DID SEARH POSER BUT COULDNT FIND A ANSWER ABOUT THE RETURN LINE ;) )

Cute.

Not idling and the engine dying is not necessarily indicative of too much fuel pressure.

I would bet that the choke is sticking on and that you are flooding the engine.

Replicate the problem in your driveway, and remove the air cleaner assembly and report back where the choke butterfly is when you say the truck won’t run and dies.

I installed my Weber 38/38 carburetor in 1992. No pressure regulator, stock mechanical fuel pump, no return line. (There is not a provision for one on the carburetor)

:meh:

Cute.

Not idling and the engine dying is not necessarily indicative of too much fuel pressure.

I would bet that the choke is sticking on and that you are flooding the engine.

Replicate the problem in your driveway, and remove the air cleaner assembly and report back where the choke butterfly is when you say the truck won’t run and dies.

I installed my Weber 38/38 carburetor in 1992. No pressure regulator, stock mechanical fuel pump, no return line. (There is not a provision for one on the carburetor)

:meh:

Hmm. I have used all of the faq's. and they helped as well as you.
Thanks for that.
Scott

choke is completly off(manual choke, butterfly open). only does it if I shut it off for about 10 min.....if I leave it off 20 min. it starts and runs normal.

You may have a fudged up jet. But check the faq's. You can rebuild it for a mere $25.

I am doing mine, and I will report back. Even tho we have different issues.
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom