Webasto install in HJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, after about 2 days of staring into my engine bay, I finally tackled the install on the Webasto I ordered from Bruce.

It's harder than it looks. Thanks to Wayne for the recent post on the install into the '80 for the heads up on that.

I finally decided that the best location was just above the frame rail, under the airbox. Installation meant removing the airbox, and then fiddling with it until the clearances worked around the lower support member for the airbox. No mean feat...took the better part of an otherwise beautiful Sunday afternoon. I came this close to taking the angle grinder to the lower support member for the airbox, but rationality returned, and I decided against. Toyota must have overbuilt it for a reason.

It all worked out in the end. The exhaust port sits about 2 inches above the frame rail, so it vents directly out the wheel well. Incoming coolant comes in from a plug in the passenger side of the block, outgoing coolant is plumbed via a "T" into the return lines from the passenger compartment heater. Fuel is served up from my Racor secondary filter (another sweet mod, folks...even heats your fuel!!) via a small 12v fuel pump which fits nicely below the A/C lines behind the airbox.

Total time to install - about 6 h, not counting time spent staring into the engine bay.

Last edited:
My Webasto advice...point your webasto exhaust at your oil pan. This way you get an oil pan heater at no extra cost!

Craig.

Larry,

Can you run B100 year round now that you have the Webasto installed? The only pre-heat I have is a bottom radiator hose heater, so I don't dare try 100% yet.

thats a cool idea lumpy, do you have on on your 70? I would like to see some pics, I am thinking about getting one, do the wabasco charge your batteries, or does it not use them at all to run, probably just to start and to pump fuel?

Yup, I've got one on my 70. I've got some pictures posted on a previous thread;
http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/v...6&id=Lumpy_008

http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/v...6&id=Lumpy_009

It doesn't charge the batteries, it uses them to run the fuel pump, fire the glow plug (or whatever it is that fires the diesel) and to circulate the coolant. I believe the total draw is 1.75 A at 12 Volts.

I've never had any problem running it for an hour in the morning, driving to work and leaving it for 10 hours, and running it in the evening before I go home from work. It has always started great, even in -30 Celcius. No smoke or spluttering, instant heat, and startup on first crank.

I've considered using one of those little solar trickle chargers to help the batteries along in the really cold weather, but like I said, I've never needed it.

Craig.

Scoot - I'm now down to B20, as temps are now consistently -20ºC @ night. I wouldn't go B100 here in winter without a heated tank-heated line set up like the SVO guys have.

I suppose, though, that with some fancy plumbing you could run a coolant hose back to the tank...the little circulation pump on the Webasto seems pretty gutsy. Anyone have any experience with that out there?

Craig, couldn't get these links to work. Sure would like to check out your photos...!

lumpy70 said:
Yup, I've got one on my 70. I've got some pictures posted on a previous thread;
http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/v...6&id=Lumpy_008

http://gallery.prairiedogparts.com/v...6&id=Lumpy_009

It doesn't charge the batteries, it uses them to run the fuel pump, fire the glow plug (or whatever it is that fires the diesel) and to circulate the coolant. I believe the total draw is 1.75 A at 12 Volts.

I've never had any problem running it for an hour in the morning, driving to work and leaving it for 10 hours, and running it in the evening before I go home from work. It has always started great, even in -30 Celcius. No smoke or spluttering, instant heat, and startup on first crank.

I've considered using one of those little solar trickle chargers to help the batteries along in the really cold weather, but like I said, I've never needed it.

Craig.

-20C Now that's a bit brisk! I would imagine that is a beautiful place to live though.

Here's a final shot of the install:

Last edited:
-20 is nothing to see in Labrador...spent 16 years there in Churchill Falls. Grew up on snowmobiles and hunting ptarmigan....usually get back once a year at least . Saw many a -40 ,-50 Cel. day there . You get use to it and learn to dress properly or risk lots of frost bite !
My brother still works there and use to have a camp on the Churchill River , simply beautiful country .

Daryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom