Weatherstripping - Side Windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my cruiser for a couple months and have noticed a musky smell that lingers for a couple days after we get a hard rain storm. I'm almost certain the issue isn't the front windshield or sunroof as I've continually checked for any damp spots on the carpet. In addition, I removed the entire interior to apply sound deadening and saw zero signs of water or rust.

However, when I had the door panels off to apply the sound deadening, I did notice an unusual amount of dirt/grime at the bottom of the inside of the front doors. The rear doors were fairly clean. After a recent hard rain, I removed the door panel, and sure enough, it was pretty wet inside. Looking at the weatherstripping, there aren't any cracks or dry-rotting, but there is a decent gap at the one end next to the side mirrors. It's the same on both front doors.

Does this look normal? I have to believe this is where the water is getting in.

jbkF2gm.jpg

If your door drains are not blocked, there should be no water. Also, your door cards are backed with plastic, so the interior of the door should be isolated from the inside of the truck.

This mustiness is usually caused by leaking around the CHMSL, or a clogged sunroof drain. The water doesn't have to get in the interior to stink with a clogged sunroof drain. It just sits there in the hose and turns to stinky swamp water, which you can smell inside.

If your door drains are not blocked, there should be no water. Also, your door cards are backed with plastic, so the interior of the door should be isolated from the inside of the truck.

This mustiness is usually caused by leaking around the CHMSL, or a clogged sunroof drain. The water doesn't have to get in the interior to stink with a clogged sunroof drain. It just sits there in the hose and turns to stinky swamp water, which you can smell inside.
There wasn't a measurable amount of water, but I was surprised at the amount of water droplets, even on the back of the speaker and wire harnesses. I'll look into the CHMSL / sunroof drain. Thanks!

I have had a similar problem with both of my rear door cavities. It turns out the plastic liner that's between the metal door frame and the interior door panel started to peel away from the black gooey sealant and has somehow been torn in spots too. It was allowing water past the plastic liner into the molded fiber board door panel. It was starting to smell super funky, I pulled the door panels and am letting them dry out. Luckily the fiber board did not swell or disintegrate.

So now I need to recreate new plastic liners and seal everything back up.

Check the integrity of that plastic liner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom