Weatherstripping and Wipers maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got some rain the other day and my wiper blades were dried and chattering. I was about to buy another set when I recalled there is a moisurizer/lubricant for rubber seals and wipers.

Sil-glyde from Napa is amazing for dried up stiff door seals, window seals and wiper blades. It can restore ancient ones and maintain new ones to get them to last longer.

It is a clear silicone based lubricant/ moisturizer that comes in a tube for around $7. Rubbed some onto my wiper blades and they're like new. Did the window and door seals on the '98 Tacoma which were pretty stiff and they are much better. One more round and they should be like new.

Sil-Glyde is also used as a brake lubricant on the backs of brake pads and on the pins. So, maybe the little packs of brake antisqueal near the registers at Autozone etc are the same stuff, although much more expensive by volume.

If you've ever restored an older car with dried up leaking door/window seals this is an option before you replace them. So, maybe this belongs in a different forum (80, 100...)

Last edited:

thanks for the info. going to try this to my wipers and see how it works.

FYI refills for factory wiper blades are about $7 each.. more expensive than sil-glide but also a perfect edge on the rubber.

Gummi Pflege is good too. BMW has it in a stick form, like deodorant, or they used to.

Either product is good for more than the wiper blades. I use the sil-glyde to condition (moisturize) the weather stripping once a year. On the Cruiser it'll be on the same day I hit the KDSS with LPS.

I'll replace the wiper blades when the edges get rough, and I think the oem blades are better than anything you can get at a parts house.

and I think the oem blades are better than anything you can get at a parts house.

If you haven't already seen this detail, the wiper the dealer usually sells is not the factory wiper on our trucks. If they have a toyota sombrero molded into it near the mounting pin it is made by "sightline" and NOT OEM. You have to specifically ask for original equipment wipers, even at the dealer.

But yes I agree.. OEM is better than anything else, IMO. And as mentioned, cheap to keep running and a spare set on the shelf, as the refills are so affordable.

If they have a toyota sombrero molded into it near the mounting pin it is made by "sightline" and NOT OEM. You have to specifically ask for original equipment wipers, even at the dealer.

Good to know!

In the high desert of NM with so little rain, very low humidity and lots of sun, wiper blades dry out in a year or less but the edges are fine because they only get used a few times a year. So, something like Sil-Glyde or Gummi Pfledge makes sense. Elsewhere, probably not so much. Still, it is good maintenance on the weather stripping.

Last edited:
Do you guys find the Sil-glyde or Gummi Pflege works better than AeroSpace 303 for weatherseals?

AeroSpace 303 for weatherseals?

Never tried it. Thanks for mentioning it.

The description and reviews on Amazon are intriguing. It's a spray on silicon based sealant and cleaner with UV protection for rubber, plastic, fiberglass, fabric, patio furniture, etc.... Sort of like a much better version of Armorall. Or a sprayable sil-glyde with UV protection.

I'll have to give it a try!

And probably the best tire dressing around, I just spray it on - don't wipe or touch at all - use it on boats also, incredible UV protection.

303 is good stuff. Great dash, plastic and rubber protection. Use it on my whitewater boats and drysuit gaskets. I buy it by the gallon. The 303 fabric spray is the best DWR spray I have found for technical outerwear.

+1 @bloc

I was weak last time around and decided to try the SightLine "Toyota" emblemed replacements. Wore those out and went back to true "OEM" equipment. There is a big, big difference.

I've tried multiple combinations of refills and blades, and the OEM set on the 200 series is certainly my preference.

For reference, the part numbers I used were:
85222-53071 (RH)
85222-42110 (LH)
85242-42030 (rear)

Thanks for posting.

Will dried weatherstrips will cause a slight "creak" when the suv is moving? On the front left driver's window area, there has been a little "creak" that occurs every now and then when the car is moving. I swear it's coming somewhere near the driver's window area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom