Water Pump Oddity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Steamer

SILVER Star
Threads
I have the water pump off and never noticed this before. On this GMB pump or other pumps in the past. The gasket matches the plate so it’s the casting that doesn’t align exactly. Don’t know if it impedes the flow any. Has anyone else noticed this or do I have a weird casting.

WP Casting.jpg

Last edited:
I'm surprised that nobody commented on this. It’s a common pump & the only made in Japan pump that I know of for 69 to 74. I’m sure some of you guys installed these. Maybe I had an odd ball or maybe no one else noticed.

Anyhow, I shaved and smoothed the casting to match the hole in the plate. I forgot to take a pic of the mod but tried to show what I removed by Photoshopping the before pic. (below) It’s been running fine and I’m actually running cooler but with the head rebuild, new cam and all, I can’t say my pump mod is responsible. I’m at least confident it didn’t hurt. 80 deg. F ambient and it’s holding at 165 with the 165 deg. F thermostat in there.

WP Casting 2.jpg

I'm surprised that nobody commented on this. It’s a common pump & the only made in Japan pump that I know of for 69 to 74. I’m sure some of you guys installed these. Maybe I had an odd ball or maybe no one else noticed.

Anyhow, I shaved and smoothed the casting to match the hole in the plate. I forgot to take a pic of the mod but tried to show what I removed by Photoshopping the before pic. (below) It’s been running fine and I’m actually running cooler but with the head rebuild, new cam and all, I can’t say my pump mod is responsible. I’m at least confident it didn’t hurt. 80 deg. F ambient and it’s holding at 165 with the 165 deg. F thermostat in there.

View attachment 3242931

GMB image from ROCK auto right now ....

170-1080_BOT.jpg

see next

Last edited:
rock auto??--the same folks who sent me substandard centric rear wheel cylinders(3) that were designed for the left (driver's side) when I ordered 4 for both the rear wheels-only one was for the psngr side-after I openend them up to look, I scrapped all - don't have the time or $ to fiddle with junk--this was long before the current MUD vendors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom