water is bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

80and100cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
It rained real hard and real fast here in Houston today. I was in a not great part of town and the roads were very flooded. Me being the guy who thinks he can drive through anything went on w/o fear. I made it to my destination, but commming back was where the trouble lied. I was crossing a deep puddle, well I'd call it a small pond that formed on the road. I looked across the road and saw a chevy truck pushing water with his bumper...this scared me a little. Than my engine begin to want to stall and the check engine light came on. Apprantly I was in some deep water. I drove it to a pro care shop, and they ran the electrical check on it. The mass air flow sensor had thrown on the light. My air filter was completly soaked. My question is how high is the air intake? Adjusted for my 31 inch tires, and stock are 28/29 inches about? Everything runs fine now with my new dry filter, and I kept the old one for a back up. I have debree between the top of my front bumper and my body, and also stuff around my fog lights. Is it possible the water came up to the top of my bumper, if only briefly? I'd imagine water that high would have killed my engine? Can a 100 series cross water 2 1/2 feet deep?

-Matt

A stock LC pulls air from the passenger side inner fender. That would work out to be around 2 1/2 feet off the ground. Pushing water with the bumper most likely created a "bow wave" which if you go too fast can come up over the bumper and into the engine compartment. To solve this problem, you can lift your LC and/or put on a snorkel.

You needum snorkel :flipoff2:. Cereal, I know how bad the flooding gets in places of Houston. Get a snorkel, some 36" swampers, but most importantly, drive through it slowly!!

Oh yeah, and it always goes easier when the right hand is holding a diet coke :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom