Watchdog coolant level and aftermarket temp sensor location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AndrewHadji

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey Folks, got a new watchdog coolant level warning sensor and temp sensor on the way. Looking to see where those of you have these have put them. Im sure the watchdog will require drilling into the rad, has anyone put the temp sensor inline with the hot return or cold?

Hey Folks, got a new watchdog coolant level warning sensor and temp sensor on the way. Looking to see where those of you have these have put them. Im sure the watchdog will require drilling into the rad, has anyone put the temp sensor inline with the hot return or cold?
You know you can simply stick your finger in the top of the radiator (preferably after it cools) and if your finger gets wet you have plenty of coolant. :)

You know you can simply stick your finger in the top of the radiator (preferably after it cools) and if your finger gets wet you have plenty of coolant. :)
Thanks Charles, so detailed, however, which finger, i want to make sure im doing it right.....

Thanks Charles, so detailed, however, which finger, i want to make sure im doing it right.....
My detailed mechanical advise is free only up to a point. After that we'll need to exchange PayPal info. :)

Hey Andrew,

What about any of the two ports marked in this picture?

Both are stock locations for temperature sending units for the 1HZ. I have seen 1HZ with them in either location. Mine, personally, had the original temperature sending unit on the location marked in RED (from factory) and a plug on the location marked in YELLOW.

827.jpg

I later moved the stock sending unit to the location marked in yellow on the photo above (as shown below), and added an auxiliary ISSPRO coolant sending unit and gauge, to the location in the cylinder block. My goal was to keep the engine appearance "stock" since most people will never lean down to check the aftermarket coolant temperature sending unit.

828.jpg

I personally would think that the sending unit on the outlet of the engine will be the hottest point you would ever read, so if you want to make that your upper limit, then I would install the Watchdog unit there and move your stock sending unit to the block. I wouldn't drill on the radiator, if anything I would weld a bung of sorts to the radiator if watchdog recommends the sending unit on the radiator itself. Just a thought I guess :)

Hey Andrew,

What about any of the two ports marked in this picture?

Both are stock locations for temperature sending units for the 1HZ. I have seen 1HZ with them in either location. Mine, personally, had the original temperature sending unit on the location marked in RED (from factory) and a plug on the location marked in YELLOW.

View attachment 1548298

I later moved the stock sending unit to the location marked in yellow on the photo above (as shown below), and added an auxiliary ISSPRO coolant sending unit and gauge, to the location in the cylinder block. My goal was to keep the engine appearance "stock" since most people will never lean down to check the aftermarket coolant temperature sending unit.

View attachment 1548300

I personally would think that the sending unit on the outlet of the engine will be the hottest point you would ever read, so if you want to make that your upper limit, then I would install the Watchdog unit there and move your stock sending unit to the block. I wouldn't drill on the radiator, if anything I would weld a bung of sorts to the radiator if watchdog recommends the sending unit on the radiator itself. Just a thought I guess :)
Awesome tech, this helps immensely.

My aftermarket sensor is on the hose midway between thermostat housing and radiator. I put it there since I didn't have the adaptor to put it on the thermostat housing.
With current location is confirming that the thermostat opens, starts reading after the dash board needle is raising.
I intend to move it on the thermostat housing.

828.jpg
It doesn't matter where you fix the sensor as long as its close to the coolant. I have mine fitted to the lower bolt on the coolant outlet as shown on AlbertoSD pic.

So would this be used instead of or in addition to an exhaust gas sensor? Are both equally important?
the watchdog coolant part is to warn of coolant loss via the head heating up faster than what the water temp would heat up/if ever in the event of coolant loss.

Meh. Im not the one who is gonna do it.... I cant weld the bung

Why do you want to add a sensor there? Wouldn't it be better/safer to add one midway in the top radiator hose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom