Warn M12 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
My name is Tucker and I have a winch problem ... alas this isn’t a thread about that. This thread is about the project M12 I just picked up, always wanted one for some reason. I’ve got an 8274 I built many years ago on my FJ40, and a compact XD9000i on my 100 Series so not new to these, but am to this particular model. Had some questions for the group as I get started, and will prolly follow up with a call to Warn once I’ve gathered some G2. To get started here’s what I purchased from @dittothat ...

4631ED8A-146A-4811-8E2E-26455CB2E311.jpeg

Last edited:
The motor and solinoid pack were toast, so I didn’t bother shipping those since it was disassembled. So I know I’m going to need those, questions:
  • Should I go with the stock 31681 (4.6HP) or 9.5XP 68606 (6HP) motor? The cost is similar, but I know this is preferred on the 8274s
  • Is there a difference in buying the 34971 contactor and the 83668 kit other than the brackets and wires? Is there still an aftermarket Albright option now that Superwinch is no more?
  • Is there a gasket kit for these or do you have to order the gaskets/bushings/washers separately?
The serial number on this one is 77689

Thx!
Tucker

Last edited:
Montana Jacks is a great website to look up parts. They also are a vendor on Amazon so you can get your parts quickly and save on shipping. I know there is a stand alone gasket kit for the two gaskets, not sure if it includes the other parts.

this is the Albright that I was planning to use for this build. Found it by going through threads on here:
500 Amp Winch Contactor Solenoid Relay for 6000 to 18,000 lb Winches Fits Warn (12V) Amazon product ASIN B07X7KQNXH
Excited to follow this thread! Going to awesome once it’s done!

FYI

Attachments

• WARN-M12000-Repair-Manual.pdf
    742.4 KB · Views: 71
  • M12000 12v Replacements Parts List.pdf
    249.8 KB · Views: 84
I have the big brother, the M15000. Scott at Montana Jacks was a big help to me when I was sorting out a new contactor and mounting system. My motor was workable, so I can't offer anything on the motor side. I did end of buying the Warn gaskets, as I could not find another source.

I’ve got all the bits, save the motor … just waiting on cooler weather to tear into it.

tucker
Might be waiting until October... I'm bringing my M8000 into the house to work on it today. Forget working outside. At 6 AM it was like 88 and sticky.

Still torn apart on the bench, I’ll get back to it eventually. Let me know if anyone has a good line on a decent control box & remote (don’t need solenoids) 😉
Are you going back with solenoids or a contactor? Do you need the mounting plate as well? The plate can be purchased from Montana Jack's. If you plan to mount everything remote from the winch, I think you can make up anything you want.

Remotes can be bought all over. you have a choice to wire it 3 wire or 5 if you only plan on using it with a wired remote. Might want to shop for a good remote and then see which one it is. Unless you want to standardize with your other winch...

Montana Jacks has those two. I have bought one from him and thought the price was reasonable. If it isn’t on his website, send him an email or a phone call. Scott is very responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom