Warden's plate adapter instructions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guy's, I've been sitting on a Warden's SM420 plate adapter for a few years and finally found a home for it. Unfortunately I didn't get instructions with the kit. It's pretty basic up until I need to install the drive gear on the transmission output. If somebody has pictures as to where the bearing, gear and locking/roll pin washer go in order, I would appreciate it. I haven't had any luck while searching the web. Thanks, Dave:beer:

Actually, it was Earl Warden, Danny's father that designed the first plate adaptor for the sm420 and J30 transfer case when he was service manager at Stancil's Toyota in P'ville, CA. I went to college in Sacratomato with one of the Stancil daughters, so I know about the story of the Stancil family and Landcruisers. Unfrtunately, I had a M38A1 jeep at the time.

As far as mounting the gear goes:
The washer from the output shaft of the J30 transfer case goes first followed by the bearing.
Then the Toyota transfer case gear goes on.

For the retainer washer on the end of the 420.
Clamp a fender washer with a 1/2 inch hole and the 420 washer together and drill a 1/8 inch hole through both at the location of one of the 420 output shaft splines that is marked on the washer. Insert a 1/8 roll pin. Add the bolt and torque. Then fold up a part of the fender washer across the head of the bolt to lock in in place and prevent it from loosening.

I dug up some pictures that show the assembly of the gear on the 420 output shaft and the retainer washer:
Image007.jpg
Image015.jpg
Image018.jpg

Last edited:
Pin_Head you are AWESOME! Thanks for the help guy's:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom