Wanting to get an ARB front bumper – have many Q’s – would love some answers from people who have one on their rig (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree with what others have said. These things aren't heavy at all, probably not much more than the stock setup. And while not the strongest bumper out there, they are way better than the stock one. I admire your honesty with yourself in acknowledging that you will never get a winch. However if it were me, I'd still get the winch model because it will be way more desirable if you (heaven forbid) sell.

And you do reuse the tow hooks. The ARB has no recovery points. I refer to them as tow hooks and not tie down loops because that is what Toyota calls them.

The ARB sounds like a good fit for your needs.

Which shop are you using to install your bumper?

If I do decide to pull the trigger & get an ARB (which is seeming very likely) I will be having Land Cruiser NW in Portland, OR install it for me.

If you are mechanically inclined enough figure out which end of a hammer to hold and which to swing or which end of the screwdriver goes in the little slottty thing, then you can install and ARB front bumper on an '80 in an hour.

Mark...

If you are mechanically inclined enough figure out which end of a hammer to hold and which to swing or which end of the screwdriver goes in the little slottty thing, then you can install and ARB front bumper on an '80 in an hour.

Mark...

^ This. I am mechanically disinclined, but removing the factory bumper and installing the ARB by myself was a piece of cake.

^ This. I am mechanically disinclined, but removing the factory bumper and installing the ARB by myself was a piece of cake.

How hard was it to get the turn signals in the ARB hooked up to the car's electrical? That is the thing that I am for-seeing us having difficulties with doing.

My ARB has been in a couple of minor fender benders, no damage in both :)

First was when this newbie in a manual transmission rolled back into me on an inclined road
IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Second was when this guy cut me off but misjudged the distance ;)
IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

Both drivers were scratching their heads while I was trying my best not to smile :D So I'd have to say yes, the ARB does add significant protection vs. the stock bumper

Last edited:
How hard was it to get the turn signals in the ARB hooked up to the car's electrical? That is the thing that I am for-seeing us having difficulties with doing.

That's a whole other kettle of fish I have not yet attempted. There are threads on the subject, if I recall correctly, and I believe Slee Off Road has a write up about it as well, again if I recall correctly. It involves splicing into the wiring of the turn signals, or you could run them as running lights.

@HRTROB, I was thinking you were a bad driver, until I realized you were in Manilla.

The hardest part of the install is carrying it to the front of the truck, and unwrapping it. Trying to carry it in its original packaging is slippery, and it takes a while to unwrap.

@HRTROB, I was thinking you were a bad driver, until I realized you were in Manilla.

The hardest part of the install is carrying it to the front of the truck, and unwrapping it. Trying to carry it in its original packaging is slippery, and it takes a while to unwrap.

Unless you get one thats "tight". I had to use bottle jack to open it up to slide it on. Not a big deal. I actually prefer it, as I imagine there is no way a local druggie will be getting it off with hand tools.

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 11.36.21 PM.png

Also, the factory turn signals are still plainly visible with the ARB installed, so if you prefer to not mess with the wiring, don't bother hooking them up. I am very comfortable with wiring but I haven't bothered hooking mine up and the bumper has been on the 80 for ~15 years.

replace those silly market lights with real driving lights.....Rigid SRM's fit well with just a bit of cutting and the light output is a huge gain but not in oncoming traffic's eyes .... I used the Wide lense version.

ARB with Rigid driving lights.jpg

Yup, the stock turn signals are still visible behind the ARB. I used the turn signal location in the ARB for DRL (Philips Daylight 4). Very easy to install, just connect two wires to the battery plus a third to the headlight (I used an extension harness so I wouldn’t have to splice into the factory wiring). Turns on and off automatically

35A2AD4C-BA33-4A77-9A7C-F83FCFCEDC33.jpeg

I don’t need a winch because I will never be in a position where I’ll need one.
From your mouth to Gods ears, my friend. lol 80s have a certain tendency wherein the position to need a winch finds you (not the other way around).
Much like...minding your own business and you turn a corner to find this...
0207201629.jpg

The only thing keeping this heifer from sliding off the road and down the mountain is its high-centered'ness.
But we all understand tho. :deadhorse: lol

I’ve read enough/heard enough positive things about the ARB that I’m sold on it.
They are industry leaders and look quite good. At least have good tow points if you find yourself in a 'spot'.

Last edited:
Also, one thing that no one has mentioned yet is the ARB is compatible with air bags.....which is significant. Paint it to match your rig if you are so inclined.

Yup, the stock turn signals are still visible behind the ARB. I used the turn signal location in the ARB for DRL (Philips Daylight 4). Very easy to install, just connect two wires to the battery plus a third to the headlight (I used an extension harness so I wouldn’t have to splice into the factory wiring). Turns on and off automatically

View attachment 2208206

Do you have to modify the bumper to mount these? Or are they a direct replacement? They look great!

Do you have to modify the bumper to mount these? Or are they a direct replacement? They look great!
Don't think there is modification (of sorts) needed. Some folk have had to *massage* theirs into place - spreading or closing the frame rail mount points.

Don't think there is modification (of sorts) needed. Some folk have had to *massage* theirs into place - spreading or closing the frame rail mount points.

Yeah, depending on your truck's history, the frame ends may have been through some rough spells. These get straightened out, but until you try to hang a winch between them, it's hard to say if they're exactly straight and parallel with each other. A punch can be used through the various bolt holes to shift things into position. Sometimes a bit more is needed, but if you have a BFH, maybe a brass drift, and a good eye, the solution can be achieved quickly. It's not a big deal , just be careful of those fingers. Any one may not be your favorite, but I'm sure it's in the Top 10...

Pic of where you're at with the bumper removed.
hP1rOK.jpg

The frame horns are still on here. IIRC, these come off and the ARB bolts the the squared end of the frame rails.

Now, most of us have a heavy winch in the mix, so you either need beefy help or a solution. However, if you;'re physically challenged in some way (My back is crunchy) then I used a rig I put together from various 2x scrap. It set on the jack, so worked but not OSHA approved, be careful, but it works well no matter how much you bumper weighs.

KcVQxb.jpg

For those lights, lots of options. At it's simplest, this is a very basic mod. You should have the skills to do it in the field as an emergency repair. Do one then test it to build confience. Just splicing two wires on the pigtails is all IIRC, the thing is to properly splice them with the right materials. The leftovers can go in you emergency repair kit (vinyl tape, splice connectors, waterproof connectors, spare wire, etc.

Last edited:

View attachment 2208206

That’s a good idea — thanks for sharing!
Those rigs are so cool. Which one is yours?
I’ve always wondered about those specific dual headlights. It seems as though Toyota only put those on 80’s sold outside the USA. Is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom