Wanting to buy M12 x 1.5 thread restorer only! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are these things different than normal thread cutting taps? new to me.

their more for chasing and cleaning existing threads instead of cutting new threads like a tap. if the threads are really cruddy then youll need a tap instead of chasers

I find this whole thing confusing--as, apparently, does Lang Tools. Here's the big kit, referred to as a thread restorer kit. So far so good, right? Eh, not so fast... The parts list says they're taps and dies. Maybe I'll send 'em an email...

Way cheaper at Summit, btw. Summit page says this (Lang page does not):

Note: Use with light oil. Never use to cut new threads.

Last edited:
Update from Lang Tech Support...

"They are thread restorers, they do not cut threads they clean and "restore" existing thread. We use the tap and die term for description purposes."

I've never had any trouble using a regular tapered tap to clean up an old or damaged thread. It's kind of hard to crossthread it with an existing thread.

I've never had any trouble using a regular tapered tap to clean up an old or damaged thread. It's kind of hard to crossthread it with an existing thread.
I find that taps/dies always seem to remove metal when trying to clean up threads even though thread size/pitch is identical. Just ordered a 53pc kit from McMaster for $120. Appears to be made by Grey tools, the kit is listed for $250 on the Grey tools website.

I find that taps/dies always seem to remove metal when trying to clean up threads even though thread size/pitch is identical. Just ordered a 53pc kit from McMaster for $120. Appears to be made by Grey tools, the kit is listed for $250 on the Grey tools website.
Yes I’ve used thread restorers for years, I really like them since they don’t open up the threads to be too loose like a tap can. I mean when you need a tap you gotta do it, but otherwise I run these first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom