Want To Buy FJZ80 - Need Advice on this one! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, Toyota tried to transform a pretty basic military troop carrier, small personnel transport, into a luxury SUV during the 80 series model run. It's good to get a newer one for the ABS, lockers, leather, power seats, full float rear axle, and whatever other goodies they Velcro'd on during those years. These changes are worth thinking about in context though. One thing, and this is totally superficial, the 80's with the factory bronze tint are impossible to match. Charcoal tinted windows would be much easier to modify. I just basically gave up this week on the idea of trying to tint my bronze windows all around. That is, to do it right is just too cost prohibitive and still wouldn't completely match.

People still take any of the years and do all the same mods and all the same interior upgrades. Stereos, speakers, sound deadener, etc... Once you transform a stock 80 to a 'Mud vehicle, it's going to level the playing field a lot especially between a 95, 96, 97. All those years had all the same upgrades except the 40th with the "climate control". 95 got the ABS and air bags so they already had disc brakes and the better engine.

I'm sure you already know most or all of this. I would again argue for an insane level of detailed inspection of any of these and buy the one that gets the highest score, not the one with the lowest miles. The $$$ you'll spend on repairs and maintenance on a low mileage poorly cared for LC will easily surpass that spent on a well maintained higher mileage vehicle, IMO. If the 95 has no roof rack, that's one thing you won't have to deal with removing, for example.

If its 5 hours away at least see if theres a mud member close by whos familiar with 80s that can check it out first. Thats a lot of time wasted if its not worth buying.

Those seats are beautiful!

Be sure to look around for evidence of collision repair, not all of it is reported. On vehicles with this high of value, a LOT of serious work can be done without totalling them out.

These things are built like 80s beemers, not 2xxx's, they will run forever (no offense, BMWs are relatively much less expensive to to buy now, and something had to give). I would jump in my car and go look at it. 300K is probably the "standard" life with mediocre care.

gtfour43 said:
If its 5 hours away at least see if theres a mud member close by whos familiar with 80s that can check it out first. Thats a lot of time wasted if its not worth buying.

Well, any 'mudders in the DFW area wanting to swing by to look up this specimen's skirt? Haha.

Auderer said:
Well, any 'mudders in the DFW area wanting to swing by to look up this specimen's skirt? Haha.

Post a msg in the regional forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom