Waeco CF50 fridge died and won't turn on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Waeco portable fridge / cooler CF50 in my Sea Ray boat. It all of a sudden stopped working altogether. Won't turn on at all - on AC or 12V power. No led's are lighting up at all. I have checked the main fuse with a multi-meter and the fuse seems to be fine (and visibly in tact). Opened up the unit and two more soldered on fuses on the PCB board also seem to be fine.

Any thoughts on what else it could be? The AC cable seems to run into a black power supply - how can check to see if the power supply is just dead?

Does it have a Fast Freeze mode?

On my Edgestar, when the rest of the controls seemed to be hosed, it would start and pull down to 0 so long as I put it into FF. That demonstrated the sealed system w/motor and compressor worked fine. That isolated the issues to the control side of things.

I have a Waeco portable fridge / cooler CF50 in my Sea Ray boat. It all of a sudden stopped working altogether. Won't turn on at all - on AC or 12V power. No led's are lighting up at all. I have checked the main fuse with a multi-meter and the fuse seems to be fine (and visibly in tact). Opened up the unit and two more soldered on fuses on the PCB board also seem to be fine.

Any thoughts on what else it could be? The AC cable seems to run into a black power supply - how can check to see if the power supply is just dead?

Old style or new?
Post pic of control panel if you dont know

I think it is the old style - here are some pics... I have checked the voltage on two wires coming out of black box that and into the main logic board (black that looks like a power supply since it has 120V wires going into) - found zero volt going into the logic board. If the power supply / transformer is bad, shouldn't it at least turn on when it is plugged into 12V externally? Since it looks like the 12V comes straight into the main logic board - alongside the wires from the power supply

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Some additional progress / update on this thread - I plugged in the 12V power cable into my car ciggarrette lighter and the darn thing came on just fine - disconnected right away not knowing what kind of draw it was going to put on the car port. I am guessing the 12V outlet on my boat must have been bad. Still no luck through 120V AC route

I am guessing this points for sure to the onboard power supply / transformer.

Anyone have any idea where I could get a new one of those and just as importantly, how do j remove it. Seems like I will need to do something with the radiator coil or other metal coils going into the main compartment

That's progress. Sounds like it is a control issue and that it cools OK when it turns on. I see you have a Turbo button, which is likely the equivalent to FF on the Edgestar.

Then there's that red Emergency slide switch. Any Ideas about it?

No direct experience with Waeco. If you got nothing on the 12 volt outlet in the boat, I'd check it first. Our Edgestar would try to start and fail. With the voltmeter measuring, you could see the voltage drop as it tried to start.

In our case, though, the 120 VAC worked fine, it would cool right down with it on house current, it was the 12 volt side having issues as I described above. So I suspect that there is something wrong with your AC to DC inverter.

Be cautious working around that coil, since it seems to be OK, don't want to start a problem there by accident.

First you could check online for any info on parts that are known to fail. Next you could take a DMM and go over the circuit boards testing each part for continuity. Starting of course from where the transformer wires connect. You might find no voltage at the start which will tell you that the tranny likely has an open winding.

But first make sure the AC power cord is good.

Last edited:
First you could check online for any info on parts that are known to fail. Next you could take a DMM and go over the circuit boards testing each part for continuity. Starting of course from where the transformer wires connect. You might find no voltage at the start which will tell you that the tranny likely has an open winding.

But first make sure the AC power cord is good. :meh:

Update on this thread - it turns out, the culprit was a fuse within the transformer - 125V, 4A that was blown. A lot of fuses on this thing :) I had checked the main fuse, two fuses on PCB board itself - didn't realize the transformer also had a fuse in it. I had noticed no voltage on transformer out but didn't notice the fuse until I took the transformer out completely. Lesson learned :) after a visit to local radio shack, and couple of hours of soldering and packing the wires / components back into the thing, everything is working in good condition - was able to use it yesterday to serve cold beer on the boat while watching fireworks :)

Update on this thread - it turns out, the culprit was a fuse within the transformer - 125V, 4A that was blown. A lot of fuses on this thing :) I had checked the main fuse, two fuses on PCB board itself - didn't realize the transformer also had a fuse in it. I had noticed no voltage on transformer out but didn't notice the fuse until I took the transformer out completely. Lesson learned :) after a visit to local radio shack, and couple of hours of soldering and packing the wires / components back into the thing, everything is working in good condition - was able to use it yesterday to serve cold beer on the boat while watching fireworks :)

See that, just like I said, an open winding in the tranny :p (So what if it was opened by a fuse...) LOL ;)

Seriously though, this is great! I love happy endings. And I'd be sick if my fridge just stopped working. Congrats on finding that fuse, I've never heard of a fuse inside a transformer either.

My cf50 was given to my by my brother. About 6 weeks ago.
He said it won't turn off, no matter what temp you set it to it just keeps running and freezing everything. Once I got it and plugged it in I found that it just would work at all. So I pulled it apart and checked all the wiring and found that the fitting for the light was all corroded, I disconnected the light and has been working perfectly for the past 6 weeks both on main and 12v. Anyone having issues with there fridge I suggest checking the light.
My bro was so pissed because he went and spent $1000 on a new fridge because he thought it was stuffed. Sucks to be him lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom