Wa$hita ----- April 18th/19th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sat. possibly Sunday also. With a later start on Saturday as Xfactor was discussing, it will make it much easier with the kids.

I don't know yet which day(s) I'll be there. Friday is very unlikely. Saturday is my best guess but I have no child care set up so I may be bringing the kids (they survived the last trip).

If I have to work Saturday, I may try and take off Friday and just be back in time for the babysitter to leave at 5pm.

Is anyone else going down early Friday?

Radio Communications

I think everyone is covered on this, but I'll remind any new folks that cell phones are pretty much useless at the park (I think I got a very weak signal at the look out point, but that was it).

So . . . make sure you have a functioning CB radio so you can at least communicate with the rest of the group. This is especially useful for first time folks as the seasoned wheelers can offer excellent advice on how to tackle obstacles via the radio (I wouldn't have survived my first off-road experience without the CB radio help of other mud members).

Figure $100 for peace of mind (about $50 for the radio and $50 for the antenna/coax). Even a mag mount will get what you need in the park. Just be sure to tune it before using it.

And if you go the route of cranking up the power beyond the factory 5 watts, just be sure you can adjust it down or you will overpower all the other radios in the group once we get really close together at the park and no one else will be able to hear you (b/c the other radios will attenuate the high power signal and block it out to prevent damage). Just ask WFD about this - no one could hear him at the FN event with the Toyota Trail Team - I just didn't figure out the problem until after the event.

If anyone needs help, just drop me a line.

See you all in a few weeks!

Radar, thanks for figuring that out for me. I do have another radio now that I picked up for helping move a 600 pound am transmitter. I still need to see if it works.

The park opens at 8:30 and I am planning to arrive there at that time Saturday morning. We will set up rough camp at that time just to off load the truck.

We would ask anyone attending to be aired down and ready for 10:00 drivers meeting at the sign in shack and hit the trail no later than 10:15 Sat and/or Sun.

I posted this trail ride on TTORA and Wheeling event.com and will let you guys know if there is anyone interested from either of those sites.

Radar, thanks for figuring that out for me.

Too funny - I was wearing my Radar O'Riely cap though when the solution hit me.:D

The park opens at 8:30 and I am planning to arrive there at that time Saturday morning. We will set up rough camp at that time just to off load the truck.

We would ask anyone attending to be aired down and ready for 10:00 drivers meeting at the sign in shack and hit the trail no later than 10:15 Sat and/or Sun.

That is a very do-able time table even if the kids are with me (especially if the kids are with me!).

I'll plan to see everyone no later than 10:00am on Saturday.

Looks like Saturday for me as well.

I'm in for Saturday as well. I need to be off the trail by 2:00. Bill, is this possible? Maybe plan 2 shorter runs?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm in for Saturday as well. I need to be off the trail by 2:00. Bill, is this possible? Maybe plan 2 shorter runs?

Thanks,

Steve

Absolutely, some of the others may want to play on some of the tougher trails. We could split for a little while to get you back and meet with them at a determined point. This type of sinario is exactly why I want to get more familiar with the park. I would at least like to stay in pairs at all times, just in case....

What do you guys do about air. I have an automotive compressor that plugs into 110ac. Let me know if I should bring that. Thanks

I will be there Sunday.

As far as purchasing a CB, I may need a little help! Which ones should I look at and are there any I should stay away from? What features should I look for?

I was thinking about keeping it pretty simple now and using a magnetic antenna.

I will be there Sunday.

As far as purchasing a CB, I may need a little help! Which ones should I look at and are there any I should stay away from? What features should I look for?

I was thinking about keeping it pretty simple now and using a magnetic antenna.

You don't need to spend much. For years I've used a $35 Uniden 510xl with great results. It's relatively compact. Pair it with a decent antenna. I use a Wilson 36" tuneable fberglass. On the trail I use a 18" rubber antenna that works great and stays out of the way. The larger truck stops are a great source.

Amazon.com: Uniden PRO510XL CB Radio: Electronics

IIRC the Radio Shack brand is the same thing.

Setting it up with a well grounded mount, correct length of coax, and tuned SWR will make any CB work well. Mag mounts generally offer poor performance and scratch up your paint but they're fine for close range. Good links for how to do a proper CB install:

Tech-Docs Index
Frequently Asked Questions

Miescha can probably give you the low down on the fancy stuff. :D

Anyone ready to go wheeling? It looks like it's going to be a wet week. Should be fun.

I invited the owner of SMORR's daughter and son in law to come with their kids. He has a highly modified, lightly wheeled 4 door rubicon. It has all of the goodies on it, mostly free from the sponsors of events at SMORR.

Locked, loaded and deflated at 10 am is the plan. I'm planning on leaving Wash, MO at 7:45-8:00am.

:bounce:I'm ready:bounce2:. Who all will be camping? I will be leaving around 730. Xfactor, what time are you rolling through south county? Maybe able to meet up with you and :steer: down together. For those who are camping what kind of beer do you like.. I owe all that helped me with my front axle.

:cheers:

:bounce:I'm ready:bounce2:. Who all will be camping? I will be leaving around 730. Xfactor, what time are you rolling through south county? Maybe able to meet up with you and :steer: down together. For those who are camping what kind of beer do you like.. I owe all that helped me with my front axle.

:cheers:

We'll be leaving our house at 6:30, that should put us around 55/270 just before 7:30. We take I64 w to I255 s to I55 s to Mo67... I'm willing to meet anywhere along the route.

Definately camping and what ever kind of beer you bring is fine. I will probably only have a couple as I don't drink too often any more.

IS IT SATURDAY YET!!!:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom