vortec or carbed 350 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok my f is starting to give me problems so I am thinking of swapping in a 350 to power my 1970 fj40.

I have several gear head friends but no cruiser head friends other than you guys :)
I personaly would rather swap in a vortec but I have NO experiance in motor swaps. My firends are all old school and afraid of the wire nightmare of the newer vortec 350s so tell me I should stick with a carb and an older 350.

So how hard is the vortec swap ? is it really that much more complex than a carbed 350 ?

It will be driven as a daily driver 90% of the time and I was thinking of going with the 700R trany.

I did a search and read but I dont think I am working the search right it seems to jumble up the threads and not let you go look at the full thread. I might need to work out the search thing before I start the swap :).

Go with a carb if you have little to no experience. You can always upgrade. Go with an NV4500 or SM465 if you're putting in a V8. 40 Wheelbase is pretty short to put in a long drivetrain like that. You'll also enjoy being able to rpm up a little with a manual.

Fuel injection is Sweet but you will pay for it in $ and time.. but a vortec would be great for a 90% DD.. Start that sucker on a cold morning and you are off like a prom dress!! It just depends on how long you want your rig down and how badass you want it to be when its finished... =)

Just finished a student's Camaro this morning. Someone had pulled the 305 and put in a 350. Carbed was easier, so they went with that. 3 years later it runs like crap and he loses his plates because it won't pass emmisions. I helped him put a TBI on it. Runs great. Starts very easy. Went from 4000 ppm HCs to 180 ppm. Needs 220 to pass. GM will sell you a vortec crate with almost no wires to hook up that will run for a long time with 0 problems. It's very spendy though.

thanks for the input.

Where might I start looking to find the Vortec kit with few wires :)

the more I think about it the more I think I am going to stick with a carbed chevy :) at least that way I know it will not be down to long ;)

Thanks

[quote author=scubajohn link=board=1;threadid=13423;start=msg124743#msg124743 date=1079905474]
the more I think about it the more I think I am going to stick with a carbed chevy :) at least that way I know it will not be down to long ;)

Thanks

[/quote]

Gumby is right IMHO. Take a look at TBI (Throttle Body Injection) before you decide. Simpler than the TPI (Tuned Port Injection) engines but still fuel injected. Still a fair few details to think about though.

700r in a 40 is not for the faint hearted.

Throttle body dude! Easier and cheaper to buy and maintain. On the trail no advantage to Vortec over TBI.

HP, fuel mileage and some driveability, but much harder to do trailside diagnoses on the Vortec. The biggest advantage for the Vortec is HP. A big disadvantage is the injectors tend to plug or go bad from alcohol in the fuel and the early ones required the entire FI assembly to be replaced.
I really like looking at my throttle body when it won't start and seeing if the injectors are firing or not.

[quote author=cajunfj40 link=board=1;threadid=13423;start=msg125344#msg125344 date=1079999780]
I like the TBI. Can you put it on any 350?
[/quote]

Yes. The intake on the early engines was different. It had angled inner bolts vs. the straight on the later engines. Since the bolt holes are tapped into the heads the easiest way to fix it is to machine the intake. you can also use a TBI to spread bore adapter. GM used one on the late 80s medium duty trucks. Painless makes one, but it sucks. Don't buy it. My 40 has the machined intake. My T-100 uses 89 heads on a 73 block.
You need the parts from a truck or van, or a cop car. i do not believe they ever put a TBI 350 in a car. NBD since you want the truck stuff anyway.
Woody has a great write up in the tech section. I would place it as one of the best improvements you can do with a 350.

I don't know how you are on cash, but I just did a 350 swap as a poor high school kid. Went with a carb since its cheaper and easyer to work on. Did the whole swap for the same price as a good EFI crate motor alone. The motor was set up really well with a strong cam, vette heads and other things...kinda hotrodded it :D. Throw on a q-jet and your ready to go. Went wheeling with mine for the first time since the swap and that thing ran at EVERY angle.
If you have the time, money, and knowledge....go fuel injection. If you don't, like me, go carb and spend that extra cash on things your really need.
Just my $.02

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom