Vortec 6.0L + 4L80e + NP 241C make sense? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings All,

I'm trying to finalize my conversion plans for my 1969 FJ55 and I need to bounce something off everyone to make sure that I haven't taken a wrong turn somewhere. My current plans are to put a late model 6.0L Vortec engine into my FJ-55 connected to a 4L80e automatic transmission and use a NP 241C transfercase to finish it off. It is my understanding that there are NP 241Cs with a passenger side drop that will match up with my axles. My axles (front and rear) are off of a 90's HZJ73 (full-floating rear, front and rear discs, factory e-lockers and 4.10 diffs).

Does this sound like a solid combination? I know that my current Toyota 3sp transfer case is held in very high esteem but it seems to me that it was not designed to take the torque that the Vortec will be putting out. Given the cost to rebuild it and buy the appropriate AA adapter it seems to me that I might as well use the money to get a transfer case that is (a) stronger, and (b) designed to bolt on to the 4L80e.

Thoughts?

The 241 has a PS drop rear output???

That does nto sound right, I would think it was centered.

Rear is centered and the front output can be had with passenger side drop for a Chevy(88-91) Blazers and Suburbans. The Dodge 241 can be had with the passenger side drop also just not sure what years. I would use the Dodge 241 with a Chevy input gear (Oranges idea) so that you can do away with the rear slip yoke. I'm running a 700R4 with this setup in my Pig and haven't had any complaints. The only problem I had was having to run a 2 piece front drive shaft with a carrier bearing in the middle to get around the tranny pan.

:beer: :flamingo:
ds.jpg
ds1.jpg

Last edited:
I did a lot of messing around with this and the input gears are interchangable but the bolt patterns are different. Here is a link to the pictures.

http://cruisers.shoumatoffmedia.com/fj55/np241/

Personally I think you should buy the AA adapter to a Land Cruiser SPLIT case (fj60 model or very late FJ40 model). Problem is you will lose you ebrake but much stronger. I like my Dodge NP241 a lot but it only works with Dodge spec transmissions. If you use the NP241C (from 1989 through 91 I believe) it is passenger side drop and earlier ones have a mechanical speedo (or you can use the electric one on later models) but they have a factory slip yoke, IE no slip yoke on the driveshaft. To many this is fine but is considered a weak point. So you have to order a slip yoke eliminator kit (SYE as they are commonly called - jeeps with the NP231's (basically a milder model) suffer from the same affliction. The kit is about $250 so ad that to costs, but that will also yield you a t case disk brake similar to OEM (but disk) for a little more.

Also yes, centered rear output and pass drop front output. Another neat t case is the Jeep Dana 300, which is what the atlas is designed after. Usually about $250 used in good shape plus adapters. Pass side drop, and there is a 4:1 kit but building them very strong ads up (about $1500 done and told with HD output shafts and 4:1 kit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom