Virgin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! I'm a newbie. I don't even have a cruiser yet. I plan on getting one within the next year. I'm looking at either a 60/62 or 80 series. I realize that's sort of broad but all I'm sure of is that i want a wagon. I don't rock crawl. (live in La) I'm interested in more of an expedition style cruiser. I will use it as a hunting truck that will need to be highway friendly yet capable in moderate offroad situaions. What's the difference between a 60 and a 62. I'll bug youy guys with a lot of stupid questions in the coming days so bear with me. It's my first time... Be gentle.

well i'm a 40 owner, but we're glad to have you on board.
hope we can help you become addicted to your (future)
cruiser like some of our wives wish we already weren't.

welcome! here's some diff.- 60's are carbuerated, no power windows and manual transmission. 62's are fuel injected,usually power windows and locks and automatic trans.

Have a 40 and a 62...The diff between the 60 and 62 (ok major diffs) is that all 62s are fuel injected 3fe engined automatics with electric windows and locks etc...it'll rumble effortlessly down the tarmac at 75-80. The auto box is nice if your stuck in a lot of that LA traffic. :'( 60's are all 4 speeds w/o an overdrive, thus higher revs required to attain the same speeds as the 62 (the autobox has an overdrive). This delta can be narrowed by a couple of methods...tire size being the easiest. I get a little fuzzy here but am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. 60's all have essentially a 2F motor early are carburated and later I believe were injected.

Bodywise...62's all have the 4 little rectangular headlights, 60's are round. Rust issues are the same for both.

I have a 62. I agree with everything everyone else has said but ive found that 62s are in better rust shape. of course that is more than likely because they are a newer model and have had less time to rust. I love my 62!

no lifting and 31's. performs great on moderate offroad conditions. im very careful offroad. (i love my truck too much and dont want to hurt it)

Good luck choosing and finding your baby

of the 60/62 id get the 60 for the manual tranny, if i was going to go for a 62 id just go ahead and get an 80's series theyre a great truck.

Before finding the SOR board, and hence this one I didn't know a thing about the 80 series. (BTW I'm a 40 owner) After reading up and asking questions on the 80 series boards for a while, I feel pretty familiar with the truck. If I were in your shoes I would probably go for a FZJ-80 with factory electric diff locks. (93-97). The 91-92 80's had the 3FE, which might be alright for the 62, but is pretty small for the 80 frame/body. In stock form this is a VERY capable vehicle, that has excellent highway manners. Add mild tires like BFG A/t's or Michelin MT/R's, and you have a rig that drives great on the highway and will carry you about as far back into the woods for hunting as you need to go. Ask on the 80+100 Series board and see what you get, they are very knowledgable folks. Well all except Junk :G

Ditto what others said.  But if you're looking for a wagon, I would recommend the FZJ80 (93-97) with lockers.  I have a 95 w/o lockers  :(, but it's quite capable.  I took it hunting couple times with no problem.  Course, I can't anymore because the wife said "no more taking it offroad/hunting".  I'm looking for a 40 now.   :)  Good luck.

Do you mean Louisiana or Los Angeles? I live in North Louisisna, just wondering......

I'm a 40 owner and making a offer as we speak and love em.This board is awesome a lot of good information goes through here (when certain things work Max)he he he welcome to the board :G

80's rule :G

Seriously, I wheel with 2 VERY capable 60's often. I think the major consideration is funds. I am Biased and prefer the 80. But, I would not kick a 60 or a 62 out of the driveway. If you can swing it, an 80 with factory locks is likely one of the very best production 4WD's on the planet. It doesn't take much to go from there to almost un-stoppable.

Cheers, Dan :beer:

If you're shopping on eBay for FZJ80's you will seldom see mention of the whether the truck has locking diffs because the sellers don't know any better. There is usually a picture in the auction of the driver's area and you can look on the dash to the left of the steering wheel for the locker switch. Most of them don't have lockers and you'll just see a gray square there. I've seen some sweet deals on 80's on eBay.

I forgot to add: If you're looking for an FZJ80 also look for Lexus LX450's. Same truck. These have the lockers much less often, but often go for less than the Toyota version for some reason. I always thought it would be pretty cool to wheel a Lexus...

To correct what was posted above about the fuel delivery in the 60s:  every single USA model FJ60 was carbed and they all had the 2F.  And, again in the USA, all FJ62s were the 3FE and had fuel injection.  

Anyway, I am a wagon guy for sure, and when I first started lookin' for a cruiser, I liked both the 60/62 and the 80, but the 80 was WAY out of my $$$ range.  So, thus, I drive an FJ60 (whole 'nother story about how I got screwed out of an FJ62... :tear:).  I love my 60.  I love the look of the 60.  I love the comfort of my 60 (hey, I'm young and have my health--I don't NEED that those fancy shmancy power windows and locks, or leather interior or sunroof...).  But, when I go drivin' that sucker on the highway and up hills and canyons on the highway, I HATE that sonuva...  And when I wanna roll the windows down while I'm drivin' because some one just stunk up the joint, I can only get one window down...  And when I'm drivin' and I can't see out of my side mirrors and it's freezin' ass cold out side, I have to roll the damn window down and freeze my hand to adjust it...and forget about the passenger mirror unless you've got a shotgun rider, but that still sucks.  But, all that crap can be fixed with a few mods, but it will take mucho $$$.

Now an FJ62, maybe. It does have the comfort of power stuff and an auto with OD and lower gearing in the diffs, and an arguably "better" engine with fuel injection, but most the people tryin' to sell those nowadays think they are made of gold and price them just under the price you can get an FZJ80...

Anyway, if I were going to just head out and get my first cruiser right now, it would in no doubt, be an FZJ80.  You can find AWESOME deals on them nowadays.  I still don't NEED all that fancy shmancy crap, but you CAN get it.  And you can get frickin' front and rear lockers to boot.... :eek:

Dude, unless you are totally in love with the 60/62s LOOKS, or find an awesome deal on one (and they ARE out there too)--get a frickin' FZJ80. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom