vibration when drive on highway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
community.webshots.com
Hi guys,
I have a vibration/rumbling when i am on the freeway doing between 60-75,it's not my tires. IT's hard to pin point if it the front center or rear,could it be my front hub bearings or drive shaft need to be lube.

if you only get tha vibration between 60-75 is not going to be the berings, berings increase or decrease whit the vehicule speed, i will check rims for bends or dirt in the inner part, some time that afect the balance off the tires, u-joints

It wouldn't be a bent rim. A bent rim would cause vibration in a broader range of speeds. I get a vibration when I'm really moving on the highway, I'm replacing my -Jionts soon. I'll let you know if it helps

When on the highway and you are in a safe area (not many cars, right lane), take your foot off the gas and shift into neutral. If the rumbling goes away it may be tranny related.

How do you know its not the tires? I bought new tires and had the same problem,went to another shop by the same co. they found the other branch had messed up the mounting. Mike

Thaks for all the replies guys keep it coming. I know it's not the tires for sure the tires i have on now is my mitchelins i use in the winter time been using then for about 4 years on stock wheels,this is the last use i will get from them. I put them on in Nov and i didn't have any problems until about 3 weeks ago.

mtnracer , I will try it tomorrow morning,i go to work 5:30am.I hope it's not a tranny problem.

How can you relube the cv-joints without removing the boots?

If the drive shaft needs lubing would that cause the same effect?

Thanks again guys

Hi guys,
I have a vibration/rumbling when i am on the freeway doing between 60-75,it's not my tires. IT's hard to pin point if it the front center or rear,could it be my front hub bearings or drive shaft need to be lube.

It could be your rear drum or rotors. I posted a while ago about the classic rotor shimmy when braking. I asked if it could be the rear because I did not have steering wheel shake. I didnt get much reply.

Anyway... It was not too much of a shimmy and I plan to install new rotors next month when outside is warm.

Then I've had it. It was to the point where I had some shimmy when driving down the highway. About the same speed you indicated. Sometimes it does not. Then for some reason, I had a hunch to try pulling emergency brake (slightly half way) at the high speed. I had horrible shimmy.

So I took it to the shop yesterday and had them do the rear first. Came back home without shimmy.

So... try pulling your emergency brake, and see?

The service shop says it cannot be related because emergency brake is drum whereas normal braking are with calipers. I can understand the logic of this but it happened.

Try it?

I tried it this morning and it's not the trany,still had it.I am going to check my cv-joints next.

When on the highway and you are in a safe area (not many cars, right lane), take your foot off the gas and shift into neutral. If the rumbling goes away it may be tranny related.

I have recently purchased a 99 LC and I have a vibration in the steering wheel at about 65-70 mph, it had michelin cross terrain tires on it that were getting close to the tread wear bars, so i first had them rebalanced and rotated, it seemed to help a little but the vibration in the steering wheel was still there, so i put on a new set of michelin LTX M/S tires thinking this would eventually solve this problem, but it didnt it seems a little worse now than before. If you figure out what is wrong with yours please post the solution.

I have recently purchased a 99 LC and I have a vibration in the steering wheel at about 65-70 mph, it had michelin cross terrain tires on it that were getting close to the tread wear bars, so i first had them rebalanced and rotated, it seemed to help a little but the vibration in the steering wheel was still there, so i put on a new set of michelin LTX M/S tires thinking this would eventually solve this problem, but it didnt it seems a little worse now than before. If you figure out what is wrong with yours please post the solution.

Your issue sounds balance related as you mentioned the vibration changed when you switched tires. I found that some tire shops do a poor job with stick on weights.

If using stick on weights I suggest you find a shop that deals in high end wheels and have them properly remove the old weights including residue and rebalance using a high end Road Force Dynamic wheel balancer.

If using clamp on weights, just make sure they REMOVE all old weights before adding new weights. I have seen some places leave the old weights on.

Lubing the Ujoints would def help..... If they need lube it might cure the vibes for a short time if the joints are bad and need to be replaced. If the joints are not bad, it could be the problem and fix the vibes.

Lubed my joints and it dampened the problem for a while. Vibes came back. Did a deeper check and foudn that the joints where BAD. Replaced. Vibes fixed. (as posted above.)

It sounds like one of your very old tires is beginning to come apart. You have had them 4 years. When were they made? I would not drive a 4 year old 'winter tire' at speeds over 45 MPH. Even new, they will not hold up to high speeds. When old, tread separation is very common , especially if driven to freeway speeds. Keep the speed low and they will stay together, but the hardened rubber has very low traction on wet pavement--DANGEROUS.

Michelins wouldn't come apart after just 4 years, they're made better than that. Modern snow tires take freeway speeds very well. And not to tangent off, but most snow tires I know of are soft rubber (and wear very quickly on pavement).

For everything to be fine and then change points to things like belt damage in the tire, something simple like a wheel weight coming off, u-joints, etc.

Have you checked your diff fluid or drain plug for shavings? I just took mine in for a 60k service and mentioned that I have a slight vibe between 65-75 (only when on the gas). There were a ton of shavings on the drain plug but the fluid looked great. Needless to say, I'm still confused and the vibration is still there. If my front diff is toast after 60k miles (zero miles off road), my wife is gonna be pissed.

I am having a similar issue. Has the tires balanced and rotated before a trip to North GA from FL and the vibration feel in the steering wheel drove me nuts the whole way. Not TERRIBLE, but I would expect a solid truck like this to have much better highway manners. FYI, I have HT Radials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom