Vibration noise in '99 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone? There has to be a reason that this hasn't been done yet.

Why wrap them if the heat shield is perfectly functional besides the cracked mounts?

Why wrap them if the heat shield is perfectly functional besides the cracked mounts?
Well, I'm trying to fix something that is cracked and therefore isn't going to get any better. To me, that is a broken part. So, The answer that I am looking for is not why am I going to do this, but technically speaking, why it would be a bad idea to do it this way. Hose clamps are A SUPER CHEAP and easy way of remedying the situation, but I am looking to change it up. Its a s***ty ass part that I'd like to just get off my rig completely and if I can do it by nicely wrapping up my cats then I will.

And I guess my question really is why do car manufacturers make these shields that really disperse the heat under the car instead of making a solution to keeping the heat in the exhaust system until it exits out of the rear:moon:?

The heat shield directs the heat away from the body, not through the exhaust system.

Unlike, say a header, catalytic converters can and do overheat and degrade. Wrapping them would probably accelerate the demise of the cats and they're not cheap to replace.

Hey Durham, how'd those clamps work out?

Does anyone know what high temperature caulk or sealant some posters are talking about here?

Not sure what they were using but originally I picked up some muffler repair/sealer goop from Advance Auto to try and fix mine. After reading this, I'm going to put this in the gaps where the bolts are rotted out and then toss on some stainless clamps for good measure.

Thought I'd chime in on this. As previous folks have noted, the time to fix is less than ten minutes. It took me more time to read about it and go pick up supplies at the store. Banged around with a hammer and found the rattler. Strapped the hose clamp, squirted some red heat goop and good as new.

Thought I had a spare tube of gasket maker in the box but did not. Just there one 4 1/8" clamp on and tightened. Dead blow sounds 100% better so hopefully the clamp alone fixed it. Regardless I will most likely loosen and fill with gasket maker.

After a quick test drive the noise was 80% better. Drove straight to get another tube of gasket maker and finished off the job when I go home. Letting it set overnight and hopefully back to purring again tomorrow.

I have been tolerating what sounds like the same issue every winter since I have owned my '02. It sounds like a buzz/rattle from the engine compartment when I am stopped at lights and at low RPMs. I do not notice the noise during summer so I am thinking the components contract with the "cold" (So. TX truck).

Am I correct that the check is going the length of the exhaust/cat system and tapping gently with a rubber mallet looking for a dead sounds/change in the sound?

I have been tolerating what sounds like the same issue every winter since I have owned my '02. It sounds like a buzz/rattle from the engine compartment when I am stopped at lights and at low RPMs. I do not notice the noise during summer so I am thinking the components contract with the "cold" (So. TX truck).

Am I correct that the check is going the length of the exhaust/cat system and tapping gently with a rubber mallet looking for a dead sounds/change in the sound?
I’m experiencing the same exact thing. Ever find out what it was?

Hey Durham, how'd those clamps work out?

Hi @Wak it has worked out well! Going on 3 years now and I check the tightness of the clamps about once a year and readjust if necessary. But no more rattle!

Sorry for the delayed response, never got notified.

Yep. 4” x2 and 5” x2 stainless clamps and the rattle is gone! This thread was extremely helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom