Vent balloon.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
I was this done on a competition rig, REALLY liked the idea....

Basically, rather than run vent lines to a common container in the rig, they attached some sort of balloon to the diff breathers....allows for complete fluid containment, and for changes in volume in the diff due to heating/cooling.

However, I'm pretty sure the average off-the-shelf kiddies balloon is not gonna last...lol

Any thots as to what was used?? I considered the rubber handheld pump like what's used for hand-type bike tire inflators......not sure that's a good thot tho or not....

A kiddie balloon ought to work ok. If you get anything too tough, the heat expanison could force fluids out past the seals.

Ed

wngrog said:
Ask Texican for one of his condoms. Should fit fine from what Deb says.

:rolleyes:

Didn't yo momma ever talk about people in glass houses and throwing stones.....?

Ed

I saw something like this advertised in a magazine a couple of months ago (I think it was petersons 4 wheel, but not positive). They looked like a very small accordion style shock boot that stayed in the contracted position when cool, expanded when hot air caused expansion.

I just received an Arctic Cat DVD in the mail (advertising thing) and they brag on their
'vent bellows' that they use to accomodate the expansion and contraction of the air in the differential (ATV). It looked like a miniature shock boot with one end sealed up.

I was thinking a priming bulb from siphon kit, or maybe from an outboard motor fuel tank might work for this application.

wngrog said:
Ask Texican for one of his condoms. Should fit fine from what Deb says.
I think the last time I owned a condom was when Nixon was pres...... :D :D

Get a inner tube for a 480x4 tire, this fits go karts, hand trucks etc, remove the core, and plumb everything to it.
Stash it somewhere.
Butch

I like the concept plus you could have some back ups in your wallet if it breaks...

perfect...right size, stronger than normal balloons.....gotta find me some of those....

Walmart, here we come!

hehehe...

an old spark plug boot is used on the engine oil dipstick....seals up that spot quite nicely, perfect fit.

...not sure what I'll use on the tranny one yet....

The place where I saw them was from D&P Performance, (435) 586-5172.

Wow Gumby, when you first made a little statement about those balloons, memories of tromping through wallmart at three a.m. under the influence of psychedelics crossed my mind. And then you post a link of balloons from a head shop. Gotta get me one of their leaf grinders. (some balloon filling gas contains sulfur dioxide, so stick with medical grade rubberhead, for your honda of course).

Our comp buggy (Rocklogic4x4) was running the collapsable style ATV breathers from Dean Bulloch, D&C Performance in Cedar City. They are ~$3.50 each...
DSCF0001.jpg

That's D&P Performance, in Cedar City. (435) 586-5172. I knew Dean back in his motorcycle days. If you think he's nuts in his Sammi you should've seen him ride a trials bike... Pretty wild on sleds too... :cool:

that's them....gotta order a few up next week....thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom