Vent balloon.... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit said:
Our comp buggy (Rocklogic4x4) was running the collapsable style ATV breathers from Dean Bulloch, D&C Performance in Cedar City. They are ~$3.50 each...

finally ordered...demand must be up, since they are now priced at $10 ea....

pppp

tie a whoopy cushion up under there.

hhhhmmm......honest vendors are nice....wondered why my bill for 5 of 'em was about $22...

misquoted on the price...they are $3.15 each - and outta work nicely!

hey woody, what size is the opening at the end of the vent? will it fit right on to the stock breather without the cap on it?

Something I don't see mentioned is that you want the balloon to have pressure normally. That way when the axle gets cooled suddenly (like when you go through water), the balloon can contract. I don't see that being possible with a normal balloon. The accordian things would work well for that though.

We run those Arctic Cat balloon dealies. Couple bucks at the local dealer.

I ordered those accordian vents. I really like the idea. I was concerned once I got them in hand that they are a little stiff and not as stretchy as the balloon idea. What is the volume of air that those little accordian vents be expected to expand and contract? When hot, how much does the air in the axles expand? And how much will they need to contract for say a water crossing cooling?

I think a suppose a slight pressurization is good. I have heard of blowing seals because of too much pressure.

My Dad tells me that the temperature of the axles in his semi average between 100-150 degrees under load. Anyone know what the temps of a 40 run at?

I found this link, but this is getting too scientific for an eyeballer.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem03/chem03261.htm

If the expansion of the air in the housing epands by a factor of 1.2, and assuming the volume of air in the housing is (guessing) 12 quarts, then the primative math I am using tells me that the air would expand by 2.4 quartz.

I would guess that those little accordians will expand by about 2 oz.

I put one on my front axle. Tried putting it on compressed, and the axle has too much volume to keep it compressed when cold. That, or my axle seales are blown. I have been driving it around for the last few weeks and it seems fine. It fills up a little, but not incredible amounts. You can still smash the accordians flat.

I could not get the vent thingy to fit on the stock vent. I ground the lip down a bunch too. And, its a coarse thread, so I had trouble finding replacement brass vent fittings. I ended up running a fule line to it and mounting it off that.

-Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom