Valve cover off, how does this look for 275K? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing valve cover gasket while working on intake/egr carbon to chase down cel for p0401.

How does this look for 270k miles? Doesn't look too bad to me IMHO. I kinda expected worse.
IMG_2490.jpg

got the intake cleaned too

here's the intake after cleaning
IMG_2494.jpg

valve cover

Here's the underside of the valve cover.

Not too bad???? Just wondering
IMG_2489.jpg

It looks really good to me.

What type of oil/filter are you using and what are your change intervals?

surfj40: FWIW when I had my valve cover off I found that the baffle at the top becomes a reservoir of sludge. Apparently some oil gets trapped up in there and bakes. Had the cover cleaned using a block washer (think industrial size dishwasher) at an engine shop. While they had it in the shop also had them bead blast the outside surface, washed it again, then took it to be powder coated.
cleaned valve cover baffles.jpg

Last edited:
Like new...:cheers:

... How does this look for 270k miles? Doesn't look too bad to me IMHO. I kinda expected worse.

It looks like what you would expect most motors to look like at ~30K, nice.

I hate Kernal and his Valve Cover. :D

Looks good - and agree that the VC has some crevasses that collect and bake the oil. My mechanic buddy that helped with my HG job just shook his head and said - "Why can't Americans build s*** like this" These rigs are worth all the blood, sweat, and tears, and $$$$$$$$ and time.

Thanks for the input!!

Thanks for the input guys! Feel better now.

Only had it for 3 yrs now. Chevron delo 400 oil about every 3 months or so. Its my wife's daily driver and only goes about 12 miles a day + weekend trips. Factory air filter, wix oil filter.

The PO had no records, however was a one owner local vehicle, thats why I bought it from her.

Thermostat and radiator, belts and hoses is all I have done. Keep the scanguageII hooked up at all times.

At that mileage the head may have been done up at least once.

Did you check the valve clearances?
Does it use oil?

Frankly you could expect any engine that has had proper oil changes in it's life to look like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom