How the heck does this come off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm trying to remove my driver's side seat belt on my 1995 to send out for re-webbing and the bottom of the belt is no problem, everything's right under the lower garnish and easy to get at. My issue is I can't figure out how the upper mount with the slidey-bit is supposed to come apart so the bolt can be removed? I figured I'd ask here first before I started prying on plastic things that can't be replaced if I break them.

Every video on the Tube and searching here is only giving me the early rigs that just have a solid cover over the bolt. Mine is a rubber or plastic covered slider with a squeeze-button system to move the slider up and down, and it's really not obvious how it's supposed to come apart. The 1996 FSM is also (surprisingly) not detailed as to how this is supposed to be disassembled.

Any help would be appreciated!

Following for interest. I don’t want to tear up my nice interior without knowing the best way to do it.

The top of the plastic garnish will pop open to expose the mounting bolt, I think.

There are two tabs on the bottom side of the clamshell, that hold the clamshell together, that surrounds the upper bolt. Gently slide a small flat screwdriver in and pry them apart. If you're worried about them breaking, wait until heat of afternoon with it sitting outside, and the plastic will have more flex.

There's no clamshell on my truck, it's a slider with a one piece plastic cover on it. Can't figure out how it's supposed to come off. When I get home I'll post a pic of it, I'm pretty sure the earlier ones have a cover that opens.

This is the most frustrating part on this whole truck. I broke mine getting it off, because my overproductive engineer's mind created all sorts of complicated ways it was held on.

Then I went to a salvage yard to get a replacement and the light came on. It comes off without tools, once the upper bolt is out (@YMT). It just slides off.

Be really careful with it, it's fragile for no apparent reason. I have a spare (from a 1995) for a brown interior, if you need it. Both sides are the same part.

My apologies, I was thinking about the earlier ones. I've parted a few now. I forgot the 95 plus have the slider.

So there's a bolt under the upper garnish somewhere that needs to be removed first? I'll strip it off tonight and check that out. Looks like both door moldings can be pulled off and the upper garnish just slides off? Any clips that you can recall? Mine has a brown interior so I'll keep you in mind (thanks for that) but hopefully I can get this apart without breaking anything. I knew folks had done it before but I just couldn't find anything about it. Maybe I'll take some pictures and do a how-to thread for the next guy!

Took me 30 seconds to remember. Squeeze the height adjusters and lift the plastic.

20230720_140215.jpg

Damn, I never would have guessed that! Thanks so much!

EDIT-
I got it open! I had to do some careful prying around the lower edge of the opening to clear the tabs, but nothing broke. Happy Dance!:cheers:

Last edited:
THis is really easy to do yourself if you have any interest.

So I'm trying to remove my driver's side seat belt on my 1995 to send out for re-webbing and the bottom of the belt is no problem, everything's right under the lower garnish and easy to get at. My issue is I can't figure out how the upper mount with the slidey-bit is supposed to come apart so the bolt can be removed? I figured I'd ask here first before I started prying on plastic things that can't be replaced if I break them.

Every video on the Tube and searching here is only giving me the early rigs that just have a solid cover over the bolt. Mine is a rubber or plastic covered slider with a squeeze-button system to move the slider up and down, and it's really not obvious how it's supposed to come apart. The 1996 FSM is also (surprisingly) not detailed as to how this is supposed to be disassembled.

Any help would be appreciated!

As an asides and for others reading, I use chisels to loosen and remove plastic interior parts, everything from door cards to anything else that needs a firm prise to release them.

These chisels come in sets, and at first glance look like the chisels used by carpenters, same size, same shape, but they are a hard plastic, so even slipping or levering they don't damage anything.

Buy them now, not when needed on a Sunday morning when the shops are closed. ;)

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom