Vacuum shifter for transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently I am doing a V8 swap on my 3/69 fj40 and am curious if the Vacuum transfer shift assembly can be changed to mechanical? Has anyone done anything else to deal with this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bob

The side assy that holds the Vac shift will interchange with both 3 spd and 4spd TC. The mech assy will also interchange. Basically 4 bolts, pull it off and replace. You will need the piviot point from the doner case as well as the linkage.

As everybody has already stated, it's really easy, completely bolt-on. You can use 4-speed parts(linkage(s) and shift lever), you'll also probably need the t-case top cover as well(I did); replace the old gaskets and you're good to go.

Thanks for the info, it looks like I will probably go that route.

I have the same set up, but I left the vacuum shifter. I haven't had any problems. From my understanding the mechanical linkage will bind if the frame twists, hence the twin shifter from advanced adaptors. I put the vacuum line for the shifter to a full vacuum port on the top of the manifold behind the carb. Try it, it works great, with no expense.

I'm actually doing the exact thing right now. So far it is exactly bolt on. The only thing though is that I'm not sure if you can use the linkage from a four speed. You might be able to but it seems to me IIRC that the 4 speed linkage is a little longer in one place or another than the 3 speed. Anyway just be sure.

I have a sm465 in my fj40 with a 350 small block. I got the kit from classic cruisers for the manual shift t case.

All this info is great. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again, Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom