VA State Inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know of a local shop that will pull your car into a bay for 10 min, not look at it at all, and then give you a sticker…:rofl:

I've never had issues at the gas station in front of Lowes and best buy in that Gainesville shopping center

This is one of those threads where either there's one heckuva backstory or there's one heckuva backstory.

OP, care to share more details?

This is one of those threads where either there's one heckuva backstory or there's one heckuva backstory.

OP, care to share more details?

I have a 5th gen 4Runner with SPC UCA’s. I took it to a local shop that I have used before for other vehicles without issue. Well I took my 4Runner in there to get the state inspection done and it failed for excessive play in the ball joints. I googled spc upper control arm state inspection and that was first thing that popped up was video explaining how to do the inspection. So I called the state inspection office expecting to be able to explain the situation and never got a call back. I took it to another place out in Warrenton Va and the guy was so rude we almost got into a fight. Miserable old guy! Needless to say it failed again. I think they’re inspecting it the wrong way and are refusing to listen to me because I’m not a redneck or a car mechanic. Very frustrating! Any assistance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!!

I had a good experience with GT Peace in Chantilly this past week. They passed my truck with SPC UCAs on it. It’s a more performance oriented shop, so your explanation of how to check these UCAs should make sense to them.

I had a good experience with GT Peace in Chantilly this past week. They passed my truck with SPC UCAs on it. It’s a more performance oriented shop, so your explanation of how to check these UCAs should make sense to them.
Thanks @TTViper I we’ll give them a call.

What about SPCs makes it feel like there’s play? Seems like even aftermarket UCAs should be nice and tight, right? They should have different geometry, but isn’t play play?

I'm not sure someone with more mechanical experience will have to answer that. If I need new ball joints then ok just take a second to explain it to me. Don't fail me then expect me to sign a blank check to get it fixed. I want an explanation. Here is the video I watched: SPC Inspection Video

As an inspector I would have to look in the VA inspection manual. I think it says vehicle manufacture spec, not aftermarket spec. I understand your frustration. Their is some grey area there. If I felt the up and down play, I would think it was loose as well. I did watch the video. It makes sense but I would worry about how it effects the use on street when driving if it moves up and down.

As an inspector I would have to look in the VA inspection manual. I think it says vehicle manufacture spec, not aftermarket spec. I understand your frustration. Their is some grey area there. If I felt the up and down play, I would think it was loose as well. I did watch the video. It makes sense but I would worry about how it effects the use on street when driving if it moves up and down.

Ok, thanks for the explanation @matzell. I will order some new ball joints.

I have a 5th gen 4Runner with SPC UCA’s. I took it to a local shop that I have used before for other vehicles without issue. Well I took my 4Runner in there to get the state inspection done and it failed for excessive play in the ball joints. I googled spc upper control arm state inspection and that was first thing that popped up was video explaining how to do the inspection. So I called the state inspection office expecting to be able to explain the situation and never got a call back. I took it to another place out in Warrenton Va and the guy was so rude we almost got into a fight. Miserable old guy! Needless to say it failed again. I think they’re inspecting it the wrong way and are refusing to listen to me because I’m not a redneck or a car mechanic. Very frustrating! Any assistance you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!!
Where in warenton did you go?

Sheehy Ford on a recommendation of a friend. I will never go back. I couldn’t believe how the guy was talking to me. If it wouldn’t reflect badly of my buddy I would call and complain. He should be fired.

Sheehy Ford on a recommendation of a friend. I will never go back. I couldn’t believe how the guy was talking to me. If it wouldn’t reflect badly of my buddy I would call and complain. He should be fired.
I was curious because with the exception of Tom Frost Firestone there is not a real jerk inspection shop in town.

I have never gone to the dealerships other than Country Chevrolet and they can suck my junk after they drove my truck all over DC on a memorial day weekend and racked up 5 tickets while it was In for warranty work.

I was curious because with the exception of Tom Frost Firestone there is not a real jerk inspection shop in town.

I have never gone to the dealerships other than Country Chevrolet and they can suck my junk after they drove my truck all over DC on a memorial day weekend and racked up 5 tickets while it was In for warranty work.
That’s some serious _Ferris Bueller’s Day Off_ shenanigans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom