Uwharrie OHV Volunteer Day Feb 20, 20201 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is your chance to get outside, flex your muscles and enjoy the Uwharrie OHV trails. As you can see we have a lot of work that needs to be done. If you are looking to breath some fresh air, this is your opportunity. I know the weather is crappy, but but if you can make it the rewards will be worth it.

-Kurt

Hi Everyone – Well, we’re going to start getting ourselves back on track for our volunteer work days. I want to thank you for your volunteering you did last year and I look forward to seeing you again this year. The first work day we’ll be focusing our energy on Dutch John Trail (TR90). We’ll be installing guardrail and we’ll be dragging out the old posts that we used to use for the creek crossings. If you have hard copies of your adopt a trail form, volunteer agreement form and club roster please bring them on Saturday to turn into me. Susan Miller, our new District Ranger will then be able to sign them & then I’ll scan them and email them back to you.

Please meet at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am. If you have never been there use the following address 280 Reservation Road, Troy, NC 27371 and you’ll find it. We’ll get folks signed in there and then head to Art Lilley Campground/Trailhead. We’ll be accessing Dutch John Trail & hauling guardrail posts & rails to the locations to block illegal bypasses and hill climbs. There are some guardrails that are out there that need to be reinstalled & we’ll be adding some more guardrail in those sections too. We have about 9 sites to work on and we’ll get as many done as possible. We have pink flagging at the sites with a brief statement of what to do at the site. They are labeled Site A through Site I. What we don’t finish this time we’ll work on in March or on another work day. I’ll have the notes typed up to use on Saturday.

Things to have with you are: Work gloves, work boots/hiking boots, wear long pants & long sleeves & other appropriate clothes for the weather, food and water. Please bring straps and D-rings, etc. to use to drag the guardrail & log posts. If anyone has a truck or trailer that can go onto Dutch John Trail to haul in the posts & tools that they can bring that would be great. Please bring shovels, sledge hammers, post hole diggers, rock bars, loppers, impact drill (I think that’s what it’s called) to screw the bolts into the guardrail & posts, and other tools that can be used. We’ll also pick up trash so bring trash bags if you have them. We’ll have trash bags too. We’ll have the metal draggers that Darin made for this type of work.

If there are other folks you know may be interested please pass this information onto them. I’ll have the sign up sheets & we’ll form 2 lines and space ourselves out when we’re signing in on Saturday.

Brock & Kyle will bring their chainsaw stuff so at a couple of sites we’ll also be using the old posts as bollards behind the guardrails to protect the stream.

Thanks a lot everyone. Bye - Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom