Using an OEM air pump as a pulley / belt tensioner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I purchased an FJ40 and PO was using the air pump as a pulley / tensioner for a fan belt. The air pump has seized. I am going to install another air pump I have for the same function. He had the ports blocked off. Is this what it caused to seize. Should I leave them open? I know about the air pump eliminator from Jim C but they are out of stock. Also I do not know the procedure to take the veins out of the air pump.

Thanks..

2F408AE4-2B8C-4D7B-A711-BFC0CC06E13B.jpeg

When I use air pumps as idlers I take them apart and remove the impeller seals and springs.

With the vains removed it just spins on the front and rear bearings inside the AP but it doesn’t try to pump any air.

At that point I also plug the rear ports and call it good.

Thanks! Will anything happen if I just leave the air pump intact and use it as a pulley? It is all ready installed.

this covers the 2F AIR PUMPS tensioner Block needs Chris ....

1650519729473.png

1650519634374.png

1650519655344.png

1650519665777.png

1650519683057.png

Thanks, I have everting need what my question is if I can use the air pump as it is and block off the ports that pump air.

yes

u must remove the air fins inside first

The risk that you run if you leave the impellers intact is that they can break/crack/crumble and subsequently destroy the bearings from the inside.

Chris I have an air pump that I pulled the veins out of. I ran it in my 79 for a few years with no problems. Let me know if you want to try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom