Used GX Dash Trim and Interior Light Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking for a while and have a game plan for my "new" 2015 GX. While I'm working out details for some offroad upgrades, there are a couple things I didn't expect to fix. I just bought a 2015 GX yesterday and the previous owners did some things I want to undo. The interior lights are cool white, almost blue and I'm not a fan. What do you recommend for warm white LEDs (2700K)? Is there a set available, or a comprehensive listing of bulb types? They also did a number on the dash trim that surrounds the infotainment system and climate control. I haven't been able to figure out what to call it to look for a replacement. If anyone can point me to the term or ideally a source, that would be awesome. I didn't find what I was looking for before posting. If I missed it, let me know. Looking forward to posting some pics when I start my build.

First off, congrats! For the interior bulbs I just bought T-10 bulbs and the fit all the overhead domes and the running board lights. I forgot about the ones in the door panels but they should be the same as well. You likely wouldn't like my choice of color however, because I went BLUE! Some friends were giving me a hard time about it yesterday asking if I thought I was at a club and ready to go dancing. :rofl:

They also did a number on the dash trim that surrounds the infotainment system and climate control. I haven't been able to figure out what to call it to look for a replacement. If anyone can point me to the term or ideally a source, that would be awesome. I didn't find what I was looking for before posting.
Can you post some pictures of your dash and console? I have never heard/seen anything like what you're describing for the dash/console.

Can you post some pictures of your dash and console? I have never heard/seen anything like what you're describing for the dash/console.
I'm guessing previous owners aggressively installed a phone mount. Portions of it remained and there's drips of ugly adhesive down the left side. I started out with a heat gun, tried goo gone, and moved on to acetone to try to get rid of it. I made some slow progress with acetone, but ended up starting to remove the silver finish. I'm hoping for a "clean" start. The rest of the interior looks pretty good for a 7 year old vehicle. It'll feel like mine if I could replace that trim piece.

Reactions: r2m
First off, congrats! For the interior bulbs I just bought T-10 bulbs and the fit all the overhead domes and the running board lights. I forgot about the ones in the door panels but they should be the same as well. You likely wouldn't like my choice of color however, because I went BLUE! Some friends were giving me a hard time about it yesterday asking if I thought I was at a club and ready to go dancing. :rofl:
Thanks! I've been looking at GXs for a while and I love this thing more every time I drive it.

Looks like a T-10 is the same as a 194. Guess I didn't believe all the bulbs (overhead, door, etc.) were the same type, but it seems that's the case. I've bought LEDs for the house from Super Bright LEDs in the past and they only showed the 194s (T-10) for the GX. Guess that's all I need.
One of my cool/blue bulbs flickers when it ramps up in brightness. Happy to send that over if you want to complete the club aesthetic. :)

I'm guessing previous owners aggressively installed a phone mount. Portions of it remained and there's drips of ugly adhesive down the left side. I started out with a heat gun, tried goo gone, and moved on to acetone to try to get rid of it. I made some slow progress with acetone, but ended up starting to remove the silver finish. I'm hoping for a "clean" start. The rest of the interior looks pretty good for a 7 year old vehicle. It'll feel like mine if I could replace that trim piece.
I know how annoying that can be. It's like the eggshell in the omelet. Especially when it's right in front of you whenever you're behind the wheel!
Another option, but may be some work, would be remove the dash piece, as you are already doing, get as much off as possible AND as smooth as possible, then you can either paint it, have it professionally painted or take it to be metal plated (which may look very cool!).
Just some suggestions if you can't find a used one.

Thanks! I've been looking at GXs for a while and I love this thing more every time I drive it.

Looks like a T-10 is the same as a 194. Guess I didn't believe all the bulbs (overhead, door, etc.) were the same type, but it seems that's the case. I've bought LEDs for the house from Super Bright LEDs in the past and they only showed the 194s (T-10) for the GX. Guess that's all I need.
One of my cool/blue bulbs flickers when it ramps up in brightness. Happy to send that over if you want to complete the club aesthetic. :)
Nah. I bought a s*** ton of them on Amazon because they were available. But just to show you……. Can you here the techno music? Is dub step still a thing? 😂😂
image.jpg

• Haha
I've been lurking for a while and have a game plan for my "new" 2015 GX. While I'm working out details for some offroad upgrades, there are a couple things I didn't expect to fix. I just bought a 2015 GX yesterday and the previous owners did some things I want to undo. The interior lights are cool white, almost blue and I'm not a fan. What do you recommend for warm white LEDs (2700K)? Is there a set available, or a comprehensive listing of bulb types? They also did a number on the dash trim that surrounds the infotainment system and climate control. I haven't been able to figure out what to call it to look for a replacement. If anyone can point me to the term or ideally a source, that would be awesome. I didn't find what I was looking for before posting. If I missed it, let me know. Looking forward to posting some pics when I start my build.
I just talked to my Lexus dealer about replacing that dash piece since I kinda messed up my expedition essentials mount install. The plastic is not sold separately from the screen and all the buttons. $4,900 is what I was shown so I can live with it.

• Wow
That is one thing I really hate about Toyota/Lexus, they bundle components for way more $$$$$ than one would want to spend for the single part within the assembly. :flipoff2:
I've seen this over and over again with them.

Yep.. that is what I see in parts schematics as well. Used parts yards are going to want to keep the plastic on theirs as well
That's pretty much what I've been seeing. Where I can find it, it's $1,900 and comes with a free nav/infotainment unit. Hoping somewhere I can find someone with a busted nav/infotainment unit that has an extra bezel. I've seen a few listings, but they're for the 03-09 models.
Sanding, filling, and painting to match as close as possible may be my only option.

I pulled some light covers to confirm and they do all look to be the same bulb type, which looks to be a 194 (LED) or a T-3.25 (incandescent). Only difference is the 6 in the dome lights point straight down, and the 4 in the doors and 2 vanity lights face the side. Not sure what the stock bulbs are, but Eiko incandescent replacements are T-3.25, 4.9 watts, 38 lumens. I'm going to try some 194 LED replacements w/ 360 degree bulbs @ 2500 K. They're 135 lumens, so considerably brighter than stock, but that might be a good thing. Hope that works out well and I can move on to the fun stuff. I'd rather keep researching bumpers and sliders.

That's pretty much what I've been seeing. Where I can find it, it's $1,900 and comes with a free nav/infotainment unit. Hoping somewhere I can find someone with a busted nav/infotainment unit that has an extra bezel. I've seen a few listings, but they're for the 03-09 models.
Sanding, filling, and painting to match as close as possible may be my only option.
If you have a Facebook account get on the gxor groups and wait for someone to upgrade to an aftermarket screen and see if they’ll make a deal on their old one.

If you have a Facebook account get on the gxor groups and wait for someone to upgrade to an aftermarket screen and see if they’ll make a deal on their old one.
I've followed some of the other threads that go to GXOR and unfortunately I've been done with Facebook for a number of years. I haven't looked it to it too much, but the aftermarket screens look to replace that bezel as well. I'm thinking I might be in the same place that people would want to sell both the bezel and their stock infotainment unit with it. I could be wrong though. Appreciate all the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom